Martin - Log in problem

problems or suggestions on using this board

Moderators: PNB, admin

Liz Waller

Martin - Log in problem

Postby Liz Waller » Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:20 am

Martin,

As mentioned in my e-mail, there is definitely a bug on the log-in page.

As I had checked the box yesterday for Automatic log-in I could access the site no problem and post.

Did a check then by logging out and then trying to log back in again without checking the box - it did exactly the same as yesterday - accepted my input, went to forum index page and then allowed me to select post new topic.

The post page asked for my user name as it did yesterday so filled it in and then did a test post - error message same as before - user name already in use.

Went back to log in and checked the box - as above but "log-in" selection on menu bar now correct and reads "Logout [name]" as it should and can now post ok.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:21 pm

Dear Liz,

I really appreciate your detailed information. I am grateful for all reports of problems using the board.

If you are not logged in you will get the "username in use" message if you enter your username when posting a message - this is normal, otherwise anyone could post a message in your name - you must leave the username blank and the message will be posted from "guest", or try a novel username.

The problem seems to be as you have said that you cannot log in unless you check the box. Does anyone else have this? Could you email me your password so I can try logging in as Liz Waller for myself?

Thanks very much for your trouble,

Martin.

John Ford

Discussion Board Problems

Postby John Ford » Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:47 pm

Martin, I agree with Liz, there is a problem with this board. It won't log you in automatically each time, and I am finding it very messy to use. And please tell me where I find a link to the Forge Pages web site, that you told me you had?

John Ford

Clean up of page

Postby John Ford » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:10 pm

Martin, you have loads of icons on this board that don't either work, or have no meaning. You have set up a menu for size of fonts, colour etc, etc, yet with all this there isn't a spell checker.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:10 pm

Fordy,

link is at http://www.ukhsu.com/humphrey/Page3.html

Liz doesn't have a problem with logging in automatically every time, her problem is if she doesn't check the box to log in automatically each time. What is your problem?

What icons don't work or have no meaning? I didn't write the software.

Regards,

Martin.

John Ford

Postby John Ford » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:29 pm

Login automatically every visit means. That when I enter The Horses Mouth web site, it remembers who I am and I don't have to login again. If I go into the Forge Pages, it knows who I am. Okay so you didn't write the software Martin, but someone did, and if they had the brains to write it, they must have the brains to change it.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:57 pm

Fordy,

If you check the box, you should be logged in automatically every visit. It works for me. It works for Liz. :whaasup: If you explain your problem I will try and fix it,

Regards,

Martin.
Last edited by admin on Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Ford

Login Problems

Postby John Ford » Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:36 pm

Well it isn't working this end Martin. I go to Login, type in my user name, type in my password, tick the box for automatic Login, click on Login. Everything okay, until I re-enter the web page again, where I find I have to go through the same process all over again. :?:

Liz Waller

John & Martin

Postby Liz Waller » Sat Jun 29, 2002 4:43 pm

Do you have any software ojn your pc that automatically blocks cookies ?

If so, this may be why you have to go through the process everytime.

Certain software will block all cookies, others allow you to set what cookies are acceptable and what are not.

Just a thought.

Martin,

Mailed you via the admin@ukhsu address as not on my own pc tonight.

Hope thats ok.

Let me know the outcome.

liz

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:29 pm

Fordy,

Do you log out when you leave the website? If so you will still be logged out when you go back to it. That might be the answer.

Regards,

Martin.

PS I have looked into spell checkers, a good idea, but they are not presently an option with this software. If they become available I will get one. I generally correct peoples spelling mistakes.

Liz Waller

Postby Liz Waller » Sat Jun 29, 2002 5:32 pm

Hello,

I have launched a new career as a female impersonator!

No problem logging in as Liz Waller! I didn't check the box.

More thinking required,

Martin.

PS Liz you might like to change your password now!

Liz Waller

Check Box

Postby Liz Waller » Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:35 am

Hi Martin,

Hmmmmmmmm.

Still would not work for me AM today unless the box was checked. :roll:

I can only therefore assume that it's a combination of things, including the fact that I have software on my PC's that control cookies and how they are used and also run behind a firewall.

This may be blocking the board software in some way - probably as a result of it trying to interogate my PC randomly when the box is not checked , hence the reason checking the box works.

I can live with that. I'd rather have to check the box and keep my online protection than risk viruses etc.

Just something that may be worth bearing in mind if anyone else has that problem.

Have to work out how to change the password now ! :P

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jul 01, 2002 7:19 am

Hi Liz,

Thanks for all your input and trouble. I also run a zone alarm firewall and an adsubtract filter. It is beyond me to work this out. I will ask around on the various phpbb forums. At least once you have checked the box you won't have any trouble as you are automatically logged in every time. Did you try it from your friends computer? What browser do you use? I use IE5.

Best wishes,

Martin.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:31 pm

Dear Liz/Fordy,

I have been delving for answers and have edited the software which may be the solution.

If not it might be a cookie problem. Apparently most cookie problems are due to misconfiguration of the client, or too many cookies per domain. Don't ask me what that means!

Advice I have been given is: "Look at your cookies in your browser, and try deleting all the cookies for your domain in case there are still old ones there."

"Another problem is that you may have Internet Explorer 6. Internet Explorer 6 does not store cookies for sites which do not have a machine readable privacy policy."

If you weren't confused before .... :sleepy:

Regards,

Martin.

Liz Waller

IE6

Postby Liz Waller » Tue Jul 02, 2002 9:49 am

Hi Martin,

Well that may explain the problem I have.......I run IE6 (as does AOL) on all of my machines, as does the other PC I posted from.

IE5 is too open to hacking and viruses along with older versions of real player and outlook.

Microsoft made a big hash of IE5 - hence the big problems with Nimda Virus grabbing peoples address books etc.

Have also since downloaded from Microsoft some updates and fixes for IE6.

I guess some of the bulletin board people are still updating to cope with this and having to amend the best they can in timescales they have as a few of them also suffered the same fate - account details having been grabbed off of one or two sites with insecure servers.

I think they should bring back hanging for the mindless idiots that seem to get kicks out of destroying other peoples data by hacking and viruses etc.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:23 pm

Hi Liz,

Fordy would agree with you about capital punishment...

If your problem hasn't gone away try this (for IE6):

To override cookie handling for this individual Web site, go to tools - internet options - privacy - click Edit on the Privacy tab. Enter ukhsu.com in the Per Site Privacy Actions dialog box with a policy of Allow. :satisfied:

Best wishes,

Martin.

admin
Site Admin

AOL users

Postby admin » Mon Aug 05, 2002 7:45 pm

Users of AOL browsers:

If you use AOL as your internet service provider or if you are using an AOL browser provided by AOL, please follow these instructions below!

AOL service is fine. However, there have been changes made in their browser software that makes it nearly impossible for you to login and or stay logged in to sites that require user name and password.

The problem is becoming more apparent as AOL automatically updates their software on your computer when you login to AOL.

Until AOL fixes this new bug they have created;

1. you will have to get on the internet as usual
2. and then minimize your AOL browser
3. Click on the Internet Explorer icon and use Microsoft's browser to continue with your online browsing.

The reason you are having difficulty with login and staying logged in is that the AOL browser software sends different ID numbers (proxy server numbers) when a web site requests it's ID number (cookie information) to validate that you are logged in and approved to view the next page you are trying to see.

This bb is not the only place it is happening! It is not us! I wish it were, because I would be able to fix it!

Best wishes,

Admin.

spoon462

Did it aswell

Postby spoon462 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:07 pm

Martin, you have loads of icons on this board that don't either work, or have no meaning. You have set up a menu for size of fonts, colour etc, etc, yet with all this there isn't a spell checker.

I did the exact same thing last summer, PM me and i will be able to help you out.

Return to “feedback”