RASPS

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

john ford

RASPS

Postby john ford » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:53 pm

Can someone shed some light on the appalling low grade of rasps that are being sold to us in the UK over the passed year or so. Whichever brand I try they either clog or loose their edge within days. I spoke to a very well know top competition farrier not very long ago, and asked him which brand he himself would use or recommend, and he told me not one as they were all crap. I always use a stiff wire brush before rasping, and use one rasp for foot dressing, and another for finishing off. Safe Edge were supposed to have closed down to re-tool, so is the stock we are getting in of Safe Edge old stock, or are they ones that have just been re-sharpened. Simmons clog at the first sight of a damp foot. Heller Legend are OK if you don't want to rasp any foot off, great for an apprentice. Why do we put up with it, is it because after we have opened the box and used two rasps, that it's not worth the hassle sending them back, for just the same rubbish sent back as a replacement?

PNB

Postby PNB » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:24 pm

John,

I tried them all, seems all rasp manufacture has moved to south america, none of the rasps seem to work even on the first occasion you use them.

There is a ray of light, they are a bit pricey however, VALROBII made in Switzaland, two sizes the 15 inch is as good a rasp as I have ever used, cuts for ever.

PNB.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:07 pm

John,
You are correct rasps are poor at this moment however i've started to use the system showen to me by my father when rasps were difficult to come by at short notice.
I chemicaly etch my old rasps and they work as good as new, simple clean your rasps with a good wire brush, use a large baking tray that
will hold about 1 inch of suphuric acid place rasps in chemical leave for 24 hours remove and wash with clean water and dry as simple as that.

NOTE,
use safety glasses and rubber gloves during this process.

Regards,

E.W.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks Peter for the tip on the Swiss rasps. They came in yesterday and I used one for the first time this morning. If all in the box are the same I think I may be one very happy farrier. As it's new and the weather is at the moment dry, plus it's too sharp to clench up with yet. But within about 2 to 3 weeks I will be able to give a complete honest report. For now though thanks again.

PNB

Postby PNB » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:15 pm

John,

The last one I bought, 15" is still dressing 6 weeks on!! A bit of rust, as its been wet and dry by the minute. Dressed in the mud and sun, two vertical taps on the stall jack, debris drops off.

I have only had one that compares funnily the first 16 rasp I ever bought, from Macarthers Southampton, a STUBBS ORIGINAL!!

Still have a poorly made buffer I made from the steel some where.

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:28 pm

Just an update to all those farriers looking for a good everyday rasp. The rasps that Peter Baker told me to buy which were the Swiss Vallorbe are still going strong. Since buying a box on the 20/09/08 I have only used two so far, after 148 sets.

PNB

Postby PNB » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:06 pm

John,

The original rasps the narrower ones go on for ever. The newer longer wider version have serious shortcomings, fracture easily and loose their edge much quickly.

I have reverted to original versaion.

PNB.

PNB

Inconsistent Rasps.

Postby PNB » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:03 pm

All,

The above rasps have slid a bit in quality, in fact they now only just measure up and due to the high price are not for me now viable [£20+ each].

I have switched between several others all a pretty poor compared with what they were ten years ago. If they ever really cut then they readily clog up!!

A chance meeting with farrier David Jones highlighted a rasp called, "Mercury" "a bit course", but what a tool!! After trying one last week, bought a new full box [6] today:- "Just like the best use to be", a caution: mind your finger tips!!

PNB.

ray steele

Re: RASPS

Postby ray steele » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:00 pm

Hello All,

With permission ,I would like to notify the folk here that I have a new 14" Mill tooth file available for sale to farriers and or dealers, I and my cohort in this endeavor call it the "Preferred" hoof planer. It trades in the USA for $54.00 usd to start and goes down in price as quantities(50pcs.) increase to $46.50. I ve looked into small shipments to the UK., best bang for buck is 16 pcs.,one package via USPS Priority mail which would land them at $61.00 usd each, or 39 to 40 GBP. ea..

What I don t know is if duty and or vat would be added on your end.

These have been 4 plus years in the making, the milling is done in Europe, then sharpened and inspected in the USA, the goal is to produce a mill tooth and maintain high quality,while offering the best tool at the best price and I ll not BS anyone, make a profit.

This type type of file is excellent on hooves that are not concrete hard, several farriers have reported that they need to be very careful not to overuse since material removal is so significant and the finish has been described as superb.

If there is any interest please let me know.

Regards

Ray Steele
Horseshoes Unlimited
521 Main Rd
Gill, MA. 01354
413 863 2443

Return to “farriers discussion board”