National Occupational Standards Grouping. STANDARDS.

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

PNB

National Occupational Standards Grouping. STANDARDS.

Postby PNB » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:19 pm

All,

I ask why is The Racing and Polo Industries no involved in the steering committee grouping?? It may be impertinent to ask but when the Majority of apprentices work within these two industries in this the 21st Century, why have the working standards of these men not been representation on the NOS grouping??

For that matter, it is difficult to see any other full time working farriers other than a tiny minority other than college related tutors represented either?? But after all those that actually do the job need someone to speak for them!! Or is it "You will as a craft get what you are given, not what you as a craft need"!!

PNB.

PS,

NFTA, Training officer:- Quote: "Mr Ablett outlined the way this steering group was to be set up, Working farriers have not been left out, but will all be included at a later stage".

It seems a referendum will now happen,[God thats a first!!], NFTA are to poll all 2,600 farriers with the initial findings, to canvas opinion as to if the suggested NOS represent the way farriery is undertaken today!! That will knock a big hole in the funds!! Surely it would have been easier and more cost efficient, to open up Internet communication, then to include your craft elected reps on FRC and TAC in the first place. "Strange old world ain't it".

PNB.

csc

Postby csc » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:59 am

peter you know why !!!!farriery is controlled by a few who in turn control the w.c.f. nafbae and frc the working craft have always been left out as joe average farrier just want to shoe his horses have a beer and go home policy does not effect them until one of the controllers decide to invoke rules on them like with cpd
15 people attended nafbaes do according to the forge magazine with many districts not even sending one meanwhile the frc are throwing money at them to keep them afloat
everything in the garden is rosy with the tac meeting tomorrow the statistics are impressive BUT THESE STATISTICS ONLY REPRESENT A MINORITY 93% happy people however none of the happy questions asked were regarding farriery training .
no all were to do with the venue
and what of the atfs that did not attend 3/4 of them what a farce
TOMMOROW PETER YOU AND I AS ELECTED PERSONS WILL ATTEND THE TAC MEETING ONLY TO ADVISE as again the farriery electorate are fooled into thinking we have a say
and as another rebel gets elected so they find a space for another cooper /curtis friendly face to sit on yet another committee to balance things in there favour
to nafbaes craig de arcy good luck you have inherited a old dinosaur we all had hope in richard who seemed to run out of puff at a early stage if you cant bring in reform and start encouraging new blood this could be nafbeas last year i only hope that you see the workers from the manipulators and become a FARRIERS association and not the establishments puppet all the best and good luck

PNB

Craft Exclusion!!

Postby PNB » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:31 am

Stuart,

ADVISE the Chief Executive!! [Training Director], there's a FARCE he won't be at the meeting, his heads of department will be how ever.

I was informed yesterday, it's OK the heads of department have been delegated most of the responsibility for day to day command of their various sections. So what have we got, clerks running the show acting independently of the central core in probability people who have never run their own business, having probably ZERO street farrier experience, and in all probability the [contrived] notes of that meeting and what was discussed tomorrow, being filtered down to an administratively acceptable level before the New Chief Executive hears about the discussion. Its balls maties.

DESPAIR, [it gets worse and worse by the day!!], SHOULD THE CRAFT WALK AWAY FROM CENTRAL REGULATION and SEFTON HOUSE ?? It would save the government £2.2 million each year, a huge spend on what?? something which is felt would self sustain and is debatably educationally non advantageous.

I suggest that OFSTEAD and LSC have a real good look at College Apprentice Referral Policy , [CARP], and the cost efficiency of the apprentice training model, to see if the tax payers funds could be better spent elsewhere.

PNB.

PNB

Change of PLAN. Good news.

Postby PNB » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:54 am

All,

Earlier today we are advised: The New Training Chief Executive, Peter Ablett now will be at TAC tomorrow. C T Swan will chair the meeting, the new TAC Chair and National Farrier Training Board Member, K Willard Esq, will also be there, should be fun!!

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:49 pm

I find all this very intriguing. Talk about a job for the boys and girls with no mention of the trade or the horse. Very mush like governments, the bigger they get the more money is wasted, and 100% certainty that they lose the plot.

PNB

"Opps" wrong thread. [REPOSTED]

Postby PNB » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:38 am

John,

The National Farrier Training Chief Executive stressed at FTAC that consultation has to be just that true consultation, seemingly something to be proven as having happened and be shown as thus.

It is very easy to state consultation has been undertaken but it is its QUALITY that counts.

I pressed the training officer NFTA the other day WHY NO MEMBERS OF THE RACING OR POLO INDUSTRIES seemingly the numerically biggest providers of apprentices?? were they not involved in the construction setting group of FARRIERY NATIONAL OCCUPATIONAL STANDARD'S [NOS]. This was more poignant when we heard bare footers were involved on mass, to be told all 2600 UK farriers were to be consulted.

It was suggested at that time, by way of a referendum, it seems this is not the case now and the proposed NOS will posted on the farriery WEB SITES, UKHSA was promised an electronic copy!! One week later I suppose it is in the post. Trouble is July is the dead line for the document's construction!!

PNB.

PNB

E/Mail, FAO Chief Executive LANTRA.

Postby PNB » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:00 am

WHITEWASHED!!

Sirs,

Please advise where the Draft NOS document can be found on the
INTERNET. I find it interesting that the England consultation meetings
have now happened yet no draft of the NOS is available.

PNB.

PNB

Series of communications with LANTRA.

Postby PNB » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:11 pm

AND STILL 3 WEEKS LATER :_

Sirs,

The draft document is not there, please report this matter to the
LANTRA Chief Executive. Seemingly some one with in the LANTRA set up is obstructing the blue collar craft from providing input to their own
farriery NO Standards.

P N Baker,

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subj: RE: For attention of Chief Executive, LANTRA.

Thank you for contacting Lantra,

Information about our National Occupational Standards are available
here: http://www.lantra.co.uk/stakeholders/nos/

The full range of approved NOS documents is available here:
http://www.lantra.co.uk/stakeholders/nos/nos-list/

Concerning the drafts of these documents, I have sent your enquiry to
the Standards and Qualifications team, and they should reply directly
with assistance.

Regards,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: For attention of Chief Executive, LANTRA.

Sirs,

Please advise where the Draft NOS document can be found on the
INTERNET. I find it interesting that the England consultation
meetings
have now happened yet no draft of the NOS is available.

PNB.

PNB

Communication from LANTRA.

Postby PNB » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:41 pm

All,

Google Lantra, and log on:-

I have now been sent your user name :- UKHSA [upppercase].

Password :- horsesmouth [lower case].

You should be able to view the draft farriery NOS tomorrow morning.

PNB.

PNB

Seems to work, barefaced cheek [1].

Postby PNB » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:56 am

Hot off the press from LANTRA.

Dear Peter

Sorry for the delay in setting you up on the system. We had an error with the admin page used to set up logins.

You can now access the NOS through this web link www.ruralslp.co.uk/v2, when you click on this link you will be directed to the login page. Enter the username and password you gave Jenny yesterday and follow the instructions contained within the attached document. If you have a problem opening the attached please contact me and I will pop copy in the post.

PNB.

PNB

Seems to work, cheek [2]. Data forwarded.

Postby PNB » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:00 pm

From the HORSE'S mouth, no need for Andrex!!

From LANTRA.

Dear Peter

Sorry to hear you’ve been having problems find the NOS online.

Viewing the NOS online

To view the standards follow this link www.lantra.co.uk/farrierynos, you will be directed to our website which gives an update on the farriery NOS review. This page explains deadline dates (21st August) and includes the link (click here) to our new tool for consultation called NOS consulter.

Once you have clicked on the words (click here) the first thing you will be directed to is the:

· registration page where you will be ask to fill out your details and create a username and password for the new NOS consulter system

· once you have completed the registration page click on register

· once you have clicked on register you will be directed to a general introduction page

· at the bottom of the general introduction page you can download a guidance document on how to use NOS consulter (recommend you download), you will also find instructions on what to do once you have logged out of the system for the first time (if you log out after registering you will need to use the following link to log back in www.ruralslp.co.uk/v2, recommend you save this link to you favourites)

· once you have downloaded the guidance document and saved the link to you favourites click on Go to my consultations

· you will be directed to the project page where you will find the Farriery Project

· click on Farriery which will direct you to the Farriery NOS

· click on Farriery again which will direct you to the list of standards contained with the NOS

· you can now start to view each standard by clicking on a title which will direct you to the content

I would recommend that once you have click on Go to my consultations you start to follow the guidance document to assist you with the consultation.

If you have any problems with the system or downloading the instructions please do not hesitate to contact either myself of Jenny.

Consultation process

The Farriery National Occupational Standards (NOS) Consultation is taking place in three forms.

The main consultation commenced on the 10th August (online at our new NOS consulter site) which will finish on the 21st August. To enable practicing Farriery to view the NOS on paper we also took the NOS to the Royal Show and distributed to as may Farriers through NAFBAE. We also intend to complete a similar activity at the Royal Welsh Show (commencing this week).

Once the full consultation is complete (21st August) the findings will be analysed and shown to the working group in the form of a post consultation report.

Kind Regards

LANTRA.

PNB

Foot trimmers WORKING STANDARDS intergration with FARRIERY.

Postby PNB » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:05 am

Daily Blog.

White wash, or sugar coating, even unpalatable maybe??

3 weeks left!!

All,

I again wrote to LANTRA yesterday, informing them their links to the DAFT NATIONAL OCCUPATIONAL STANDARDS FOR EQUINE FOOT CARE do not work. Guess what the link still doesn't work.

The below quote I feel is indicative of the current body politic farriery and its allied bodies demeanor.

Quote, "Once the full consultation is complete (21st August) the findings will be analysed and shown to the working group in the form of a post consultation report". End quote.

ANALYSED BY WHOM, please remember "TAKE OVER CHARLIE", the ex FRC council secretary and registrar is now slotted into EFFA and it approving body NAFBAE [works from their office in Warks], he is also the new register for EUROPE, as well as holding a senior management post within the LANTRA management structure!! [Thanks Stuart for that!!]

I would have thought for any "Post Consultation Report", to be of value, the Blue Collar Craft who's occupational standards "THIS REPORT" is the subject of, should at the very least be permitted unobstructed access to view[ pre-publication]. Then be allowed/offered a pre-publication comment!!

Please remember your elected blue collared workers, were denied membership of the groupings.

PNB.

PNB

Who is pulling the string??

Postby PNB » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:42 am

Daily Blog:-

All,

Why can't Lantra email a Word Document of the draft NOS's to paste here.

To easy maybe!!

PNB.

csc

Postby csc » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:54 am

don't be silly peter lantra the employer led organisation
simply don't want employers to know or have a say
there consultation record is extremely poor as we have experienced and the new nos slipped into the last meeting without anyone having time to digest the content,
and the influence and ratio of the barefoot trimmers to farriers
oh and the obvious influence of our old friend miles

john ford

Postby john ford » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:24 pm

That's the way government departments work Stuart even quango's. He who pays the piper calls the tune springs to mind.

PNB

4weeks later, Message from Catherine Sibly, LANTRA says:-

Postby PNB » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:41 am

John, Stuart,

[What ever you said worked!!]

The farriery Draft Occupational standards are now online www.ruralslp.co.uk/v2 , login as:- UKHSA

Password:- horsesmouth

Comments on draft NOS's anybody, respond direct to LANRTA and/or Nicky Butcher FTA.

PNB.

PNB

NOS Document.

Postby PNB » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:07 pm

Quite interesting LANTRA take on FARRIER HEALTH and SAFETY.

Link = lantrahealthandsafety.dox

PNB

Postby PNB » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:09 pm

lantra health and safety.dox

PNB

Postby PNB » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:11 pm

LANTRA LIST

Monitor and maintain good standards of health and safety with the work area
1 identify health and safety risks in relation to the work area
2 carry out specified measures to control risks and keep the appropriate people fully informed if such measures are inadequate
3 seek guidance on measures to control unfamiliar risks arising from non-routine work situations
4 give health and safety information to others in a manner likely to be understood
5 use equipment and materials in accordance with manufacturers instructions and any organisational training
6 take the appropriate action without delay as soon as an emergency is suspected
7 dispose of waste safely and correctly
8 transport any equipment and materials safely and store them correctly at an approved location
when not in use
9 maintain the security of the workplace in accordance with organisational requirements
10 keep any necessary records accurate, legible and complete
Maintain good standards of health and safety for your self and others
11. supply the necessary personal medical information in accordance with organisational requirements
12. use and care for the correct personal protective equipment and clothing assessed as being necessary for your work
13. use approved methods and handling equipment when moving and lifting items
14. maintain the necessary personal and workplace hygiene at all times
15. give accurate information about your whereabouts so that contact can be made if necessary
16. give health and safety information to others in a manner likely to be understood
17. behave in a way which minimises risks to yourself and others
18. perform your work in a manner which minimises environmental damage
19. take appropriate action where incidents affect the health and safety of yourself and others
20. report incidents without delay and fill out records accurately, legibly and completely
Scope of the unit
Evidence requirements:
This element requires that you:
A. identify health and safety risks in relation to:
(i) people (including self)
(ii) equipment and materials
(iii) the work area
(iv) equine
B. risk assessment in the following areas:
(i) college
(ii) work area
(iii) clients premises
C. dispose of the following types of waste:
(i) hazardous
(ii) non-hazardous
Knowledge statements
What you must know and understand:
Monitor and maintain the health, safety and security of the work area
(a) organisational requirements with regard to ensuring the security of the workplace
(b) your role and responsibilities for health and safety in the workplace under organisational policy and legislation, for promoting bio security
(c) why inadequate measures to control risks should be reported and that corrective action needs
to be taken
(d) the importance of following manufacturers data sheets and organisational instructions and the potential consequences and risks of not doing so
(e) procedures for different types of emergencies relevant to the industry in which you are working
(f) how the procedures to take for specific emergencies may be affected by your location
(g) different types of fire extinguishers and their use, relevant to the area you work in
(h) the different forms of waste and correct methods of disposal
(i) how to transport and store equipment and materials safely including gas
(j) the relationship between security and safety within the workplace
(k) any specific risks relevant to child safety from your work
(I) how and why accidents should be reported
(m) your organisational responsibilities for promoting bio-security in the work area under organisational policy and legislation
Maintain good standards of health and safety for yourself and others
(n) your role in maintaining your own health and safety
(o) the types of personal protective equipment and clothing needed for your work and how they must be used, cleaned, stored, inspected and replaced
(p) safe methods for moving and lifting items
(q) the reasons for maintaining good personal and workplace hygiene relevant to your industry
(r) the reasons for leaving information about your whereabouts when working inisolation or in remote locations
(s) your own ability to deal with health and safety emergencies (e.g. not carrying out actions beyond your own capabilities) and the reasons for this
(t) basic emergency first aid procedures
(u) methods for minimising environmental damage during work
(v) why accidents should be reported without delay and recorded in the appropriate document
(w) understand how to deal with accidents which cause personal injury
(x) factors which might affect fitness to work including injuries and heat conditions

PNB

Leaving our bottoms bare??

Postby PNB » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:02 am

All.

Its a bit quiet here about the physical dangers we in the equine industries face, when working close by to large animals. Dare we leave this vital legal liability element, to people working away from animals in OFFICES??

"EQUINE" is mentioned at A4 below, bearing in mind the most dangerous part of anyone working with large animals is close contact handling, and specific to horses working under them, I ask is a one word in 500 mention a sufficent demonstration of the evidence needed to prove a "DUE DILLEGENCE", or undertake a sufficient "A RISK ASSESSMENT", and one has satisfactorily taken place. Then is it sufficent to assure satisfactory "KNOWLEDGE" and comprehension in the hugely, no the only major and substantial risk to farriers when they are to undertaking work in their place of employment??

PNB.

Return to “farriers discussion board”