Extortionate price of Horse Shoe Nails. Entrepreneurs??

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

PNB

Extortionate price of Horse Shoe Nails. Entrepreneurs??

Postby PNB » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:07 am

All,

Any body up for starting a nail making business here in the UK.

With the current financial state in the UK, the raging inflation and the devaluations of the pound just around the corner, teems to be the right time to invest in nail making machinery.

IM IN FOR ONE!!

PNB.

csc

Postby csc » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:31 am

years ago i went into the machinery side of manufacture do you realise that the metal required is very expensive and comes as a wire saying that i could be interested

PNB

Postby PNB » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:29 am

Stuart,

The whole lot machines and durables can come from one source [Third World]. .

The wire can also be sourced from where ever!!

Need to speak!!

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Forget it. Many years ago a person in the UK bought USA shoeing nail making machinery and started to produce UK nails under the name of Latham. The nails were excellent apart from being too hard in the shank which put off farriers from buying them. Latham decided to change the wire he was using by getting it from the same source as Mustad Nails. By doing this Latham nails, later renamed Cooper Latham started to increase their sales with a very good nail at a price very much cheaper than Mustad. Mustad reacted by setting up a factory at Portishead Bristol, where they produced wood screws, and imported their nails to supply the wholesale trade in the UK. After five years of trading, Mustad bought-out Cooper Latham and shortly afterwards closed that operation down. They then turned around and bought the factory making the wire, and very soon after that closed the factory in Portishead. So the answer is, forget about taking on Mustad, as they have a share in most of all the shoeing nails manufactured in the world today.

PNB

Raging inflation, massive devaluation to defaut on debt.

Postby PNB » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:58 pm

Lovely Jubbly,

The UK is about, due to necessity to get competitive with the third world as a manufacturing base [once again]. This labour government by its policies of Quantitative Easing and Massive Borrowing Debt have at least laid the way open to UK the entrepreneur. John you bury your head if you like, but history demonstrates clearly, when the going gets tough the tough get going!!

I wonder if mustard's would like to buy out the idea, without any need for us to start nail making?? "Fat chance", so let us in consortium maybe or as needs must alone, get start making nails!! The kit is quoted for, and will take about 6 weeks to arrive if any one is interested!!

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:49 pm

With just 2600 registered farriers as potential clients Peter and Stewart. You need your heads seeing to if you think you can make a living from manufacturing horseshoe nails. The waste is tremendous, and the upkeep of the machines need craftsmen in tool making, which come very expensive. Also cheap wire produce poor quality nails. You would be better off buying £200,000 worth of nails from Russia, and re boxing them under your own brand name, than trying to make them yourselves. And after you have taken your cut, the difference in price would be no more than 1p per nail.

PNB

Lovely Jubbly. Marketing chances!!

Postby PNB » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:50 am

JOHN.

OK, so apply your logical thinking to the brands of nails presently available in the UK market place

A horse shoe nail market place manipulated is by the reduction in the quantities each box holds, now sometimes only as many as 250 for about £6.50 [apply your own costs!!]. Just check the recent unit comparisons, I find it quite mind blowing!!. It weren't long ago when nails came in 28 lb wooden box's. Today I feel the unit pre box price has fallen, OK, but the drop in price is far less than the drop in quantity of nails each box holds.

Try this then! a 2.5 Kilo box holds about 1400 #2 nails [well the ones I still have in stock do!!"], so how much in todays market place would 2 1/2 kilos cost when buying at the 250 nails in each box rate.

John, that is the real cost, so am I correct in using the word extorsionate??

A simple question, how long will it be until each box holds 100 nails in order to allow the shoeing of three horses from each box??

PNB.

csc

Postby csc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:52 am

1p per nail sounds good to me 2000 farriers shoeing 3 horses per day 300 days a year that's 1800000p or £18000.00 but the grass is always greener your idea is probably better and certainly less hassle

PNB

Postby PNB » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:06 am

John, CSC,

My point,"when the going gets tough".

Raging close by Inflation and Massive devaluation on the UK £ are just around the corner!! I would suggest it is now the time to form farrier co-operatives to either import Russian, Indian, Chinese nails in bulk then, or to start a UK manufacturing base modern plant, wire and tooling is out there and easily available at a cost efficient price, as you have worked out John, is it honestly at a 50% cost reduction for each nail!!!!

My reasoning: In a very few years they may quite become valuable and very expensive for the UK farrier.

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:43 pm

Gentlemen, perhaps you should spend a little more time doing your own book keeping and using a calculator a little more often. The top average price per nail is just under 4 pence. Taking wastage into account to average 30 nails per set, gives you a price of £1.20 a set for nails. I buy cartons, therefore the price is even less. How on earth you can come up with an argument that this price is hitting your profits at the prices that we farriers charge our clients for shoeing beats me. Again, unless farriers buy in bulk the price of all consumables will be higher, so buy in bulk and make the savings that way. The highest expenses a farrier has to pay in shoeing horses is the van he/she works out of, this works out on average about £9.50 per set over the year.

PNB

Postby PNB » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:29 pm

Fordy, ??500@a tenner = 2 pence each nail??

Save 1P a nail = Half price??

Which wasd working from your figures??

john ford

Postby john ford » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:19 pm

And that is why Peter you are still working your ass off and still sweating like a pig. because you can't distinguish between price and quality. I take it you would automatically put your prices up when things go up, but will you be bringing them down when the opposite took place?

PNB

Postby PNB » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Not so John,"price and quality" you are a Pratt sometimes.

My clients are suffering, my prices are static now until things improve for them.

We have to look to reduce our overheads!! The cost of our kit, tools shoes and nails has been exploited and exploded in the last year, it's time to shout enough is enough!!

By the way, I work my ass off because I can, and I ENJOY it.

PNB.

Return to “farriers discussion board”