The passing of a farrier ICON.

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

PNB

The passing of a farrier ICON.

Postby PNB » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 pm

All,

It is with great personal distress and grief that I report the death of "Sid Smith". Sid, a true icon in his own life time, he making Racecourse Farrier Support his own within Southern England.

In my youth Sid was always there, it mattered not if it was Wye, Brighton, Windsor or Bath, and most points between, he was there plying his trade, keeping horses sound and on the racetrack.

Ironically, as our family owe him so much, it was many years before I got to know him well. I found a truly great character, a leg puller, full of fun, which is to say nothing of his great craft skill and natural empathy towards anxious horses. Sid was still working at Goodwood and Fontwell Racecourses at 75 years of age.

Sid, had been quite poorly since he lost his wife a couple of years ago, I spoke to him in November and his medication had been changed, his health had turned around, he was very chipper and felt so good he had started driving again and even threatened to come racing, I offered him the use of my tools.

Anyway the serious part, Sid's funeral will take place at 12 noon, at the Catholic Church in Petworth, followed by a burial, and afterwards at The Black Horse, Byworth.

PNB.

[No flowers please, at the request of his family. Sid did how ever have a favourite charity!! details to follow].

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:41 am

PS,

Sid's funeral will be on Saturday 23th January 2010.

PNB.

Return to “farriers discussion board”