Quality of Rasps

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

john ford

Quality of Rasps

Postby john ford » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:14 pm

This evening I sent this email to Save Edge Rasps USA.

Dear Sir/Madam, the quality of your Save Edge rasps that we are buying here in the UK have now gone past a joke. Out of a packet we are now very lucky to get one rasp which is SHARP, the edges have now got so smooth that when clenching up, it is like rubbing underneath the nail clench with a piece of plain steel. Speaking to a college last week he told me of a time when he met with the person who years ago started manufacturing rasps in the USA. This person found that he could only produce a certain number of rasps before the machines became too hot, and therefore the quality and sharpness of the rasps deteriorated. He then invented a cooling system which aided him to make more rasps with a high quality. But even then he could only produce a certain number before the machines overheated even with the cooling system. Yet regardless of the pressure placed upon him to produce more rasps, due to the growing demand he wouldn’t do it, as his philosophy was to produce quality over quantity.

I can’t confirm that the above is true or fabricated, what I and most farriers do know is that the Save Edge shoeing rasps these days are very poor in the standard that they once were. One conversation I can confirm was a little time back I spoke to a friend of mine who manufactures horseshoes and supplies all shoeing stock and materials, and is a five times World Champion Farrier. I asked him if he could recommend a good quality lasting rasp. His reply was that he couldn’t recommend one as they were all crap.

Therefore the question is: Do we now all over the world in the 21st century, have to put up with goods, mass produced with no quality but cheap to the buyer, or is there a chance of one company reversing this attitude and only producing the best quality product before profit and growing demands? It serves no purpose what-so-ever for one of your company producing glossy adverts promoting the best sharp shoeing rasp on the market, when we farrier’s who use them every day know that they are not. All the rasps used at Hillcrest Forge have to be put on the sharpening polish wheel before we use them, and then sometimes that is still not enough to get them good enough to do the job as we would like them to do.

I look forward to a reply from you about this subject.

Yours truly,

John Ford RSS

Hillcrest Forge

Abson Road

Pucklechurch

Bristol. BS16 9SD

England

Tel: Office Hrs: 44+(0)7973139914

Home: 44+(0)1179373383

admin
Site Admin

Re: Quality of Rasps

Postby admin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Mercury rasps are cheap and sharp. Before I use them I rasp a piece of scrap timber because otherwise just touching them causes a cut finger.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Admin, my e-mail was to Save Edge rasps, and not surprising I haven't had a response from them yet.
I couldn't care a toss about the prices of rasps as long as they are value for money and last. It seems also that all new rasps that hit the market are very sharp until they get very popular with more farriers requiring them, then the quality of sharpness and lasting goes down. I am now using a fairly new very expensive rasp called Vallorbe Spirit made I believe in Sweden, and also a Pferde Hoof Plane made in Germany. Although I have made changes in the rasps I use, I felt it was time to let Save Edge know how poor their rasps have got as so many farriers I meet use them still.

jaimep
Location: 50 miles of Chesterfield, mid Wales, Cornwall, jaimeexup@hotmail.com

Postby jaimep » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:45 pm

I agree about standards falling John, have preferred Save Edge over other brands but have been disappointed even in them in recent years.

The Spirit and Pferd are expensive, are they worth it? You obviously think so, I'd appreciate your review of them both.

Also where can you buy the Pferd from in this country?

Jaime

john ford

Postby john ford » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Pferde rasps and Vallorbe Spirit rasps are available at Handmade Shoes Tel: 01296662473 or email info@handmadeshoesltd.co.uk. The Pferde rasp was £49.50 + VAT each, and Vallorbe rasp £131.60 + VAT for five.

Return to “farriers discussion board”