Diploma exam fees !!!

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

Cedric

Diploma exam fees !!!

Postby Cedric » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:20 pm

Would anyone care to comment upon the recent increase in Diploma exam fees to £750 (yes - £750) from 01-01-2013.

This means that an apprentice failing part of their Diploma re-takes the failed section ( practical or written) in 6 months and has to pay £750.
Even if it only means a couple of hours written paper and an oral.

This policy has been implimented by the WCF without any warning and applies to those apprentices already booked for a re-take. (as far as I know).

ferrador

Re: Diploma exam fees !!!

Postby ferrador » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:17 am

too bloody cheap as far as i am concerned , like everything involving the "wcf " and the farcical reg council i agree in the concept but the practice is one big west end stage comedy run by jokers

Cedric

Postby Cedric » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 am

Slight correction - the fee is £725.

csc

Postby csc » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:34 am

these fees have been set by the nfta and wcf and reflect the true cost of impementing the exams :|

Cedric

Postby Cedric » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:47 pm

When I queried these fees with the NFTA I was told they take no part in fee setting, it is purely a WCF decision.

Cedric

Postby Cedric » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:29 am

I thought the WCF were supposed to be encouraging apprentices! In a recent local case an apprentice was charged an extra £100 because his confirmation letter for his Diploma resit arrived with the WCF a day too late. He rang the WCF and told them he had posted it the week previously and was there no discretion as to the charge? He was told if he didn't like it they would send it all back to him ! Do these people have any notion what it is like to exist on an apprentice wage?

john ford

Postby john ford » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:01 pm

So everyone thinks that all the examiners should give up their time for nothing, whilst the apprentice has had a government grant for four years whilst receiving a weekly wage from the employer. It may make these apprentices think a little harder when they sit the final exams, that it isn't a doddle passing it, and to make sure they work harder, and to make sure they pass first time.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:57 pm

John,
The point Cedric was making was that was rather harsh by any standard.
And yes John why not give up some free time, seeing that the WCF has the bare face cheek to register with the charitable trust registration number 1044726. There again may-be not as someone needs to pay for there days out and fancy meals at the race track.

Regards,
E.w. :agrue:

john ford

Postby john ford » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:32 pm

May I remind you that many of the examiners are not members of the WCF. Also where do you think the money comes from to fund the WCF?

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:19 pm

John,
Seemingly they rob a few apprentices of there last few quid, don't forget the cash caw they also draw from,mind not any longer as government has put a stop to that.

Regards,
E.W.

john ford

Postby john ford » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Maybe you would like to enlighten me about the WCF and government where money comes into it? It is my recollection that the WCF do their own fund raising apart from the money they receive from membership. When you have answered that question Italian Stallion, maybe you should reflect on these very poor hard done by apprentices, who get pain for 52 weeks of the year regardless of holidays sickness and time at college. Who after passing the Dip WCF exam will only get paid when they work, and will or could turnover well in advance of £100,000 per year. And if that doesn't inspire them to pass the exam first time around, then they deserve all they get after 4 years doing the job.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:10 pm

John,
WCF draw dawn money through the NFTA as you well know,be it exam fees or call it what you may and recently they made sure they did not miss out when the NFTA went to the wall, talk about looking out for the boys, think it was15% they wanted to help keep there little sinking ship afloat when funding was given to the colleges.

E.W.

Cedric

Postby Cedric » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:27 pm

:) John,
Your unintentional 'typo' is sometimes the case !! :grin:

john ford

Postby john ford » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:54 pm

I noticed that Cedric, it was meant to be PAY not PAIN. I don't get it when Farriers complain about others making money in this life, when nearly all of them have a bloody good living and a job for life. I'm 68, lost two wives, two homes, and now have a third home of my own with no mortgage and a good pension, ALL financed through the shoeing of horses.

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:23 am

John,

Why shouldn't a young person, doing hard physical graft for 40 plus hours a week not get at least a living WAGE. A living wage would enable them to pay their own way through further Education, removing any need for central government funding and make employment dependent upon employers checking and monitering the viability of them employing and showing young entry what they do to earn a living!!

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:12 pm

Peter, the simple answer to your question is this: The apprentice is paid from day one, and leaves his/her master after 4 1/2 years and sets up business sometimes against that master who taught him/her. Its very strange you look at it in a different way, when many students learning a profession have to pay £9000 and more, yet don't receive any pay what-so-ever, plus after get their qualifications have to work for someone else for the rest of their life.

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Depends if you think your apprentices are: Young Employees, Students or "Slave Labour" [to quote you in the past].

Mine were young full time Employees and treated thus!!

PNB.

Return to “farriers discussion board”