CPD.

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

Cedric

CPD.

Postby Cedric » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:41 am

Any thoughts on CPD ! Locations, availability, cost etc.

CPD is probably going to be made compulsory for ATF's.

ferrador

Re: CPD.

Postby ferrador » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:35 am

lets be honest about it Cedric , it is a con , a money making venture , any farrier worth his salt will carry on educating himself without the need like a schoolboy to be told too do so at his expense ,
typical example of a cpd day , 25 farriers turn up for a day after parting with some hard earnt to get 4 points on a their card , 5 get together and talk missing the day , 5 pay no attention , 5 wander off doing their own thing , 10 are left willing to learn but only 5 can see and hear properly , total rip off , i was at one last year that was attended by a few hundred but less than 40 farriers actually entered the building where live demos and talks were being given ,the ones that filled the paper in or applied on line got cpd points recognised , those of us that took an active part but did not notify big brother did not , the whole system stinks , i am fed up parting with money just to pay arseholes wages/expenses etc ,

Cedric

Postby Cedric » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:55 am

You're probaly correct in some aspects. What was concerning me was the lack of sessions and venues in the North. As far as i can see most CPD events are in the home counties.

I think if CPD is made compulsary for ATF's then arrangements must be put in place to give equal opportunities for all to attend without excessive costs or time.

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:07 pm

why the hell should cpd be compulsory for an atf ? an awcf has not become an awcf without voluntarily educating himself , its bollox making cpd compulsory and everybody knows it . What about events at Ferries , Cottams , BLS , Myerscough , competitions all over ( you get points for competing ) the north , these are just off the top of head and am not a hairyback

Cedric

Postby Cedric » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:15 am

It's a contentious point, only Cottams in your list is not a competition. For those who don't want to compete the choice is restricted + how much CPD do you absorb from a competition ?

csc

Postby csc » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:45 pm

CPD!! well we can all agree that certain events are are not worth the points alocated ,and the points system is a complete joke. however CPD is important for us all ,and i am sure you will agree with me that the farrier who has learnt everything is full of sh1t. CPD IS IMPORTANT and what is extremmely important is the delivery , the comments made in prior listings are acurate, and there is a need for a more progressive CPD, in all aspects that a ATF will face ,these sadly are not forthcomming at pressent but lets hope ,after the ofstead report things may change to help all those who train.

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:59 am

Stuart i agree with what you say but would say that cpd is more than important , my point like you say is the points system and delivery it is only being promoted to make money , Cedric you can glean more from a shoeing comp than paying a fortune to sit in an overcrowded room where half the audience are paying no attention and disturbing others who are trying to see and listen , why is i can work alongside a farrier on a daily basis talking and learning continuously get paid by him and get no points or recognition but go on a wcf/frc approved cpd course costing me £250plus for the day and get points ?

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:53 am

sorry i meant to add that the farriers earning the money for a wcf/frc cpd clinic and the ones who i could be working alongside are the same men

Cedric

Postby Cedric » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:23 am

csc - do you know if the CPD provision was included in the Ofsted inspection? I haven't seen any mention of it.

csc

Postby csc » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:27 am

neither have i

Return to “farriers discussion board”