Election FRC. Draft election address. PNB

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

PNB

Election FRC. Draft election address. PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:33 am

Working Farries.

I have been approached by FRC elected members to throw my hat in the
ring again to serve on council. I was unopposed, as was Stuart Craig and
Craig Darcy. Paul Gorden and Steve Hewitt are to fight the 4th seat
( Northern Area Self Employed).

Stuart tells me Paul, Craig and He have made great progress recently in
getting council to operate more openly in a democratic perspective, by
outlining "The Working Craft ARE NOT" prepared to be led by the nose
regarding pre-decided agenda's and pre-meeting contrived FRC outcomes,
those that are made without a satisfactory Elected Working Craft Farrier Input.

On his recommendations I will be supporting their efforts to get a true
democratic set of outcomes at and from FRC. in order to suit those of us
that shoe horses commercially on a daily basis. After all it was due to the
Craft "NON CONSIDERATION" by the then WCF appointed Chairman of FRC
that I needed to resign my previous seat on FRC.

Thank God STUART C, CRAIG D and PAUL GORDON have taken up the gauntlet.

I will be preparing my election address shortly. I would be greatful
for any ideas of what to include.

My areas of concern being:-

1, The need to put in place a new system of YOUNG Entry Employment, one that
"DOES NOT" discriminate against some "EXAM QUALIFIED" Farriers and
"Unfairly Benefit" others. A system of lawful employment and not one
necessarily linked with the handle TRAINING, as in "APPROVED TRAINING
FARRIER" as it is presently enforced by FRC. The inclusion of the word
"TRAINING" was and still is part of the perversion of the young entry
employment system that negates the employers control over their
employees passing it to "THIRD PARTIES" ( FRC and WCF) and how
craftsmans specific businesses function. It seems the application of
this control was historically and maybe still is in place as a means to
facilitate the drawdown of government funding for third parties,
with none of the money being returning to the employers!! A major
detriment to working craftsmen.

2, How was the property (SEFTON HOUSE) SOLD. "Its Leasehold" seemingly
which was purchased from surplus REGISTRATION FEES, so then Sefton House
patently has to be the property of farrier members on the Register.
Sefton House it is reported has been or is being SOLD (seemingly in order
to pay NFTA redundancies). "The Question Being" WHO had the authority
to action the sale??

How did the members of NFTA management Board walk away form a negligent
mismanagement that led the loss of "GOVERNMENT" funding, following
the death of an apprentice or more apprentices without there being any personal
sanction actioned upon them.

I repeat please, a more substansive election address outline would be welcome.

PNB.

Italian stallion

Re: Election FRC. Draft election address. PNB

Postby Italian stallion » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:14 am

Firstly,
Congratulations Peter, I hope we get some real answers as far as the conduct or lack of it by the NFTA and people like Howard cooper there are many questions that we everyday farriers will have that need answers.
The best of luck Peter we will all be behind you.

Regards,
E.w.

slowhand

Postby slowhand » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:52 am

Hiya Peter and Italian Stallion hope you and yours are well !!.....I just popped on here while having a cuppa as I haven't been on for a while ....it's good to see that you are 'fighting the good fight' again Peter, your posts alone were worth joining this group for as you always spoke up for the working farrier. On a different note I was talking to an American on holiday in Spain and he told me he was a farrier back home and his friend is CJF and Dip WCF ...he reckons CJF automatically gets them the Dip ...now I couldn't argue 'cos I don't know can anyone enlighten me? :drinking:

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:23 am

there are quite a few in the states using DWCF status that have not paid their registration fee or even taken the exam , the wcf and frc sold out , why ?

Chris Linssner

Postby Chris Linssner » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:12 pm

Does anyone here not think its sad for our craft that there is no one willing to put themselves forward and have to actually fight for a place on the FRC.
There should be two or three farriers willing to go head to head for each position and make us vote for who we think will make the best job.
I know its not just farriery that has this total apathy and please don't say something like, "its the working farrier fed up being told what to do by the body politic." I find it so disappointing that the same people have to do the same jobs time after time(and I am not having a go at you Peter although I have my own reservations).
We need some young fresh blood with vitality and hopefully new ideas. I have no answers as how to get new guys or gals involved and god knows we have been trying long and hard. I find it a constant struggle to see farriers working for other farriers who have no idea about what goes on and have no intention of ever getting involved.
Just wanted to get that off my chest. :?

As to the CJF qualified farriers being able to apply for the DWCF status, I think that is a correct assumption. The CJF is a harder exam than the Dip I think, so there is no giving away of our exam.
I have had an American exchange farrier this week who is CJF and is hoping to apply for the Dip. I can tell you he was a very handy guy.
I find the Americans very devoted to their hard earned exam and have a thirst for further education that most of our guys stop looking for once qualified.
I have wondered if that is the difference of having no registration and having to earn customers with skill and knowledge.

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:18 am

Christ,

Your first two paragraphs are so right!!

It is a great sadness!!

I now feel following my yesterdays phone call to FRC that the whole caboodle has imploded at Sefton House, it's a bit suck it and see there. Consider however, are" the young blood " as you say so occupied with getting their book together that politics fall off the edge, seems self-employment always fairs thus as there is nothing work related left to fight for!!

Chris a question now, to see where you wish me to proceed with my seat on FRC. With the proposed regulatory reforms ticking forwards as outlined by DEFRA, is there any point in farriers getting involved trying to have the Old Guard get their thinking sorted to allow those that are prepared to offer themselves for office a listened to voice. Will we otherwise see Farrier Registration go to the wall, that is if "the body politic" don''t giving the Working Craft a genuine say.

PNB.

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:01 am

according to american friends who have taken both the dip overall is harder , that was not my point , the wcf qualifications are held in the greatest esteem worldwide , by doing what they have done has opened a back door so to speak for farriers to come here and shoe without successfully taking the 4yr appenticeship and passing the diploma which a uk farrier must do , there is a back door for eu farriers , yet again it is the brits who suffer and have to pay for this crap

Chris Linssner

Postby Chris Linssner » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Ferrador
I think you are wrong in your observations. The CJF is no weekend course and there is no queue of Yanks waiting to claim their Dip.

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:36 pm

your interpretation of what i wrote is wrong , i have not said the cjf is a walk in the park have I ? i said that some who have taken both commented that overall the diploma is more difficult , there are quite a few abroad using dip status including more than several in the states who have not taken it or even taken the cjf , please dont try and point that i am wrong , i have been with these people , whilst the majority work hard at achieving certification more than a few use their interpretation of the rules to promote themselves , if the wcf had not kow towed to other countries for whatever reasons this would not be a problem that could escalate into a big problem

PNB

Postby PNB » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:29 pm

All,

Had my FRC induction Day Yeaterday, met the NEW REGISTRAR and Nichola Fink. A frank no holds barred interview. Covered a wide area of topics, cleared up several areas of the working crafts concerns however,. There still remains several grey areas that worry me somewhat.

I am great full for that meeting opportunity something never afforded to me previously. The new registrar seems to have plenty of answers.

PNB.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Pnb pleased your meeting went well, however you mention several grey areas, we would like for you to enlighten us working farriers about some of these areas as I'm sure they have a bearing on our trade.

Ps, looking forward to your reply

Regards.

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:29 pm

EW,

The disciplinary structure when applied too members of Council should they come in conflict with FRC is different to that For other working farrier Craftesmen.

The rule at LAW of double Jepody does not apply to FRC disciplinary processes outcomes.

The rule at law of citizen rites, Ie being informed " you do not have to say anything unless you wish to do so" are not revelant to FRC dislinarary proceedings. From my experience that is even when prosecutions are formulated around WHAT THE FARRIERS responses 0X are,( What they said).

That it is not necessary for farriers who are subject to complaints to at that time seek LEGAL advice should they choose to Only to consult BFBA!!

Enouh I hope for thought.

PNB.

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:09 pm

perhaps I misunderstand , basicallyyou are saying the frc disciplinary rules are above the law ?

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:27 pm

Ferrador,

I am not certaint, but from the answers I was given It seems that things are not what I thought.

The only thing I am certain about is that any farrier subject to a complaint should consult a solicitor post haste to get advice on any reply he/she wishes to give. That is irrespective of whether they have been CAUTIONED or not (beware of making a rod for your own back) Stuart commented recently about Blunt Instruments being used on farriers, something we all have to be accutly aware of.) Yourwhole lively hood as a Farrier is at risk!!

Any Relplies that are made without doubt will be given in evidence if the complaint proceeds to a full disciplinary hearing (Beware of making Rods for your own backs.) These replies will be used in evidence and in depth questioning of an accused WILL TAKE PLACE about any replies the accused should make.

PNB.

csc

Postby csc » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:03 am

we all need to de be reminded that the act was introduced to protect animals and therefore misconduct towards animals is very serious in my book, however the question is should disciplinary be used against farriers for other so called wrong doeings

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:18 am

well said Stuart , they twist and turn to suit themselves , everything should be put in black and white , the whole act is a hundred shades of grey

PNB

Postby PNB » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:57 pm

Stuart,

Quote, An Act introduced to protect animals, that is one view.

Another view being, in 1995, WCF and NMFB&AE got thier heads together with view to getting an administrative structure to allow permit the senior livery company of LONDON some control over our craft FARRIERY, something unique to them (Craft Control by other livery companies had long since drifted).

Being generous, It may have even been a way to establish a CLOSED SHOP for the practising working craft a type of ring fence to prevent ad hoc trainees similar to the present problems of bare. Footing. The stimulus then being there was an influx of craft outsiders undertaking care of horses feet due to dwindling numbers of Craftesmen one associated to the passage of time.

The only way it seems to get registration onto to statute book that was acceptable to the then government (Labour) was to dress it up under the facade of ANIMAL WEFARE !! In other parts of The World , FRANCE as an example , was to present it as Human health and safety issue and incorporate onto thier Statute Book Under that form.

I pointed this out to the new Registrar last Thursday week, he didn't then have an answer to this suggestion.

PNB.

Return to “farriers discussion board”