Coke fumes and toxic gas poisoning, FRC obligatory requireme

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

PNB

Coke fumes and toxic gas poisoning, FRC obligatory requireme

Postby PNB » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:36 pm

All

I have had a complaint from a mature farrier and been asked what action he should take regarding a major health matter seemingly caused by his young exposure to coke fire toxic emissions (medical diagnosed) .

The suggestion being exposure to coke toxins were necessary in order for him to progress to take his Dip WCF.

This is the second concerned comment regarding the obligatory use of coke forges whilst undertaking apprentice training that has been bought to my notice during the past week.

A thorny one, initially have advised him to go to HSE.

PNB.

Chris Linssner

Re: Coke fumes and toxic gas poisoning, FRC obligatory requi

Postby Chris Linssner » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:14 am

Peter

I am confused here. Is this guy saying he has suffered bad health from exposure to Coke/coal fumes when he was younger? Is he saying he is worried about possible exposure to said fumes whilst he fulfils his apprenticeship or is he worried about exposure to any employees he has.

The HSE will be clear on this. The onus will be on the employer to provide a safe working environment for their employees.

Chris

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:40 pm

Chris,

Thanks, I am sure the IP will be grateful for that advice as to how the HSE will ajudicate his concerns regarding his ill health matter.

PNB.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:27 pm

Chris,
As a field officer in your day you and I both know that it was mandatory for the ATF to have a gas forge, you know very well that some of the premesis that housed these forges were not up to standard as far a ventilation was concerned, if myscough could have a student pass out through toxic fumes in there new forge in 2003/4 then it can happen anywhere, sulphur burns your lungs and causes scar tissue damage that will give you long term health problems.
It's not the employers fault that the NFTA didn't give a monkeys about anyone's long term health as long as them grants kept rolling in and paying the likes of the field officer that turns a blind eye from time to time.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:46 pm

Chris, that should say gas and coke forges.
Regards.

Chris Linssner

Postby Chris Linssner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:35 am

Peter I still do not understand what the story is regarding this guy.

Coke fumes are horrible and damaging to health as you say and I was able to offer my advice where possible but if you have a job dangerous to your employees health then you (ATF) will have to protect them. There is a reason you are supposed to keep your employers liability certificates for forty years. So you can be sued at a later date.
You say NFTA took no notice of this but what should they have done? (and I am not defending them). Should they have closed the firms down that did not comply with basic H&S. Look back at earlier this year with registration fees not being paid.

PNB

Postby PNB » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:41 pm

Chris,

Please don't reply to me try EW!!

However, It's a simple fact in the 21st century the use of "VERY DANGEROUSLY COKE " (your suggestion) ) is FRC obligatory yet unnecessary, this highly toxic fuel is an outdated product and seemingly was and still is destroying users well being, why can't the powers that be accept this.

PNB.

Chris Linssner

Postby Chris Linssner » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:59 am

Peter
Used properly and with adequate ventilation, coke is not the monster you make it out to be.
Coke nowadays is far superior than that I used in my youth. Do you remember going to COSIRA in Salisbury? Twelve forges running at once. I do not remember choking my lungs up.
I believe more people have died from gas forge usage over the years than coke. Ventilation again.

PNB

Postby PNB » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:06 am

Come on Chris don't play us,

There is a not so subtle difference between Carbon Dioxide deaths due to burning up the AIR in an enclosed space causing coma and death and the preventable pollution of Carbon Monoxide, coke dust and Sulpha Dioxide with the associated illness induced by COKE Burning.

PNB.

Chris Linssner

Postby Chris Linssner » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:26 pm

Peter
You still haven't answered my original question to your confusing first post.
If someone takes an interest in your post, at least answer so the thread can proceed relevant to the circumstances.

Here is a question to be answered. Why do apprentices have to make shoes from coke when the Diploma exam is only out of gas?
I personally believe they should be able to use gas and coke equally. It is a completely different style of shoemaking but both are relevant skills.

PNB

Postby PNB » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:32 pm

Chris,

The original STATEMENT was not question!

The matter at the discretion of the senior farrier hopefully will be passed for.Adjudication to HSE, the STATEMENT was no more than a STATEMENT , a report of a consultation with me his elected FRC member.

The replies posted here are quite revealing however about COKE forge fires and should assist with a/the complaint construction and help your BFBA member to gain a resolution if one can be found about his poor health state.

PNB.

PNB

Postby PNB » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:11 am

Chris,

A correction should read : " The original STATEMENT is not questionable".

Sorry my IPad has a mind of its own and shortens words itself .

PNB.

Chris Linssner

Postby Chris Linssner » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:38 pm

Peter
I understand that there is a discretion thing here and I can take from your statement that he is suffering ill health because of exposure to coke fumes which is what I was trying to ascertain.
I wonder if there is a way of measuring fumes from a forge to see what they contain.

Return to “farriers discussion board”