FARRIERS MEETING 23RD

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

csc

FARRIERS MEETING 23RD

Postby csc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:32 pm

WELL what can I say the elected members on council are not stakeholders of FRC why are we there to appease the decisions of the WCF, sorry later on it seems we were stakeholders.
I was always under the assumption it was he who paid the piper called the tune ,apparently NOT we pay the the FRC so that the wcf can tell us what to do , in the interest of horse welfare.

It seems at present we are going through a dangerous period with frightened headless wcf members dictating policy from behind the lines, I cant help but think of what happened to the Nazi regime.
the wcf are desperately hanging on completely unaware of how pissed of farriers are.
I am sure Peter will give you a detailed review

PNB

Re: FARRIERS MEETING 23RD

Postby PNB » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Stakeholders,

A word that has sneaked into FRC speak recently.

We the working Craftsmen are the sole contributors to FRC by way of our registration and renewal fees. We were told the FRC assets total £1.2 million (about) at present (that is if my recall is correct) and that once money was handed over to FRC the working craft did not have any say in how this large chunk of monies was used. If my recall is wrong someone who was present please correct me.

During my present tenure of office on FRC 12 months a large amount of money has been spent or budgeted for spend,which includes £50 k stock exchange loss, £28k on a website up grade, £30k is budgeted for the alignment of the FRC website and FRC Finance, somewhere in the region of £25k on an office upgrade (nb FRC are now tenants at Sefton house), small addition spend budgeted £2.5k for a Sefton house lighting change to LED.

Councillor Baker asked is it the correct time to consider big spends, in view of BREXIT and the without doubt follow on upheaval in the Stock Market, how prudent was it to have £600 k of consolidated FRC monies are at risk on the Stock Market.

The responses from the relevant committee was the Market will again go up and FRC will then make a profit. COMMENT but first we have to get the £50 k loss back into the FRC pot.

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:01 am

I can't wait to see how the minutes are written up as a TRUE reflection of the last meeting on 23rd March 2016.

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:42 pm

who was the brains behind the stock exchange loss , obviously some jerk having a gamble , its not difficult to have a back up in place to cover losses

PNB

Postby PNB » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:18 pm

THE FINANCE COMMITTEE seemed to be he movers and shakers.

At the 2015 AGM they said they had engaged an agency to handle the investment, we were told they were the agency that gave the best value for money and coincidently the cheapest. I Personally cautioned them at the time regarding the risks ot placing farriers consolidated registration fees on the stock market. It seems maybe my caution fell.on deaf ears!!

PNB

csc

Postby csc » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:57 pm

yes peter is correct unfortunately I was one of them that thought it a good idea at the time the point that came from this is we should not gamble with public funds

PNB

Re: FARRIERS MEETING 23RD + meeting 13 July 2016

Postby PNB » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:58 am

All registered farriers this effects you and will cost you extra.

It seems my above caution following the meeting on 23 rd, may have more teeth than was anticipated, as was been flagged up by the finance committee at yesterday's meeting on 13 July 2016!!

The matter was picked up at the meeting by Councilor Baker due to a massive wind change in their directives. Council was ask to approve dramatic changes in council policy both by increases in income and council spending cuts!!

I will attempt to outline the action that was as a result taken on the 13th July as a request by the FRC finance committee . The requests being,

1.The annual farrier retention/registration fee to be increased to £200 each year stating 2017.
2. On top of this the annual ATF fee to be increased to £70 annually.

The cuts being desired for want of a better expression.

1.The FRC subsidies paid to BFBA regarding EFFA to assist BFBA members to attend European wide meetings.
2. The next cut was a little inspecific seemingly the subsidy paid to FASG is challenged!!
3. The subsidy paid for The Worshipful Companies Ppresentation ceremonies are becoming unsustainable.

Councillor Baker questioned, after a period of 20 years as a council member, but for a brief spell off, he could not remember FRC being asked for any subsidy specific mandates. The chair of finance replied, "It's on the balance sheet. councillor Baker responded "That maybe so but I cannot remember any request for any FRC subsidies being requested or granted".

The report then turned to insurance being a requirement of farrier registration. The finance committee did not feel business liability insurance needs to be an obligatory requirement of being a registered farrier. The meeting did not agree and a suggestion was made than liability insurance was a necessity and that maybe legal liability indemnity costs need to include a defence to the costs against DISIPLINARY action by the reqistration body proceedings against working farriers should be included.

The excellent insurances offered by BFBA through East Lake and Beechall was flegged as an example.

Councilor Baker commented, It appeared from the Finance Report that FRC may be running out of money. The next response was unexpected, implying the money set aside for year by year maintainance of FRCwas insufficient, an although Council had £700k in assets that could be called upon, the FRC budget was not being met.

The chairman stated that UNLESS THE FINANCE COMMITTEE REPORT WAS VOTED THROUGH, MEMBERS of COUNCIL would be personally liable to make up/good any shortfall. Councilor Baker requested time to consider this final matter until a future meeting he was told the report was (time) critical.

The finance committee report and recomendation was voted through by the rest of the members of council.

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:44 pm

A starting point to save money for FRC and especially members on council, would be to stop having meetings in London, and find a location in the countryside where one could drive their vehicle all the way to a meeting and park it for nothing.

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:46 am

the frc have all the neccessary facilities at newark road and they live there

john ford

Postby john ford » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:29 pm

I agree ferrador, but Peterborough is not central nor very close to motorways. Stoneleigh would be ideal.

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:19 am

that is true

PNB

Postby PNB » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:29 am

Feredor, Fordy.

Sorry guys I feel a little guilty that I did not get back to you sooner but the dust is still settling after last Wednesday's meeting.

It seems the financial deficet was bought about by the high cost of DISIPLINARY obligations both present and in progress, the figure outlined as presently being about £80k in the budget report.

I now understand maybe some actions are still on going!! With a danger of one case getting a much higher amount in compensation endangered/or a fear of being being claimed. This higher cost Action/suggestion was not however from the official meeting outcome, but from another source that day.

So it is not as simple as the cost of the rent of a meeting room.

Apologies.

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:18 am

Yes Peter, and much of the blame for that is down to the way the FRC council is now being run. With the dictatorial way that many things are now being handled, without any consideration of the consequences that their actions can bring later on. The case that was disclosed in the last FRC bulletin should never have arrived at a disciplinary hearing, and as the person was not found guilty this case should never have been printed. The latest SC case, unless we are missing something should not result in him being struck off and making a living on his own. These are just two events I know of, so how many more are there, that this dictatorial chairman and his cronies have on their books, to waste even more money on?

PNB

Postby PNB » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:36 am

Fordy,

Now you begin to see it!!

PNB

ferrador

Postby ferrador » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:06 am

dont they carry insurance for this sort of thing ?

PNB

Postby PNB » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:08 am

Ferridor,

It's never been mentioned, I will ask next meeting, in the mean time my written questiones are returned, no comment whilst this case is ongoing and I suppose cases are ongoing (Hiding behind sub judicy rules).

PNB.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:11 pm

Pnb,
Im sorry I've not been on the forum, but it's something of a slap in the face to working farriers to increase the registration fee to £200 simply because of FRC mismanagement of there finances, they know full well if they are challenged in the law courts they need money to defend themselves, law and behold let the hard working farrier stump up the cash, that exactly what this is about, once again there failings are there for all to see, boy they no how to waste money.

PNB

Postby PNB » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:09 am

EW, FORDY, All.

The cost of defending oneself against disiplinary action by our registration body in effect will/can it seems price a working farrier out of existence or even drive that farrier into a state of mind that desperation ensues.

It happened to NFTA in which a coroner found it is believed that in one case the mental pressure ended in a suicide.

The body politic FARRIERY are now suffering associated stresses of financial hardship as we heard at FRC on the 13th. It seems to this member of council that our registration body and our FARRIERY Craftesmen are rushing towards the edge of the pit of hell!!

Is this what Farrier Registration is all about, we are instructed at every turn registration it is primarily about horse welfare, even those constructing the new registration bill have been given the instruction "It's a horse welfare act".

I ask what can we as members of an Honourable Craft do about what is going on, any ideas about a way out of this impass.

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:15 pm

Peter, understanding all of what you have said, surely this latest case we are referring to only requires a solicitor to read and understand the FRC Act 1975. If there is nothing in the 1975 that suggests that a Farrier is struck off for anything other than cruelty or negligence whilst shoeing a horse. The Farrier being struck off has a 100% case to be reinstated, and therefore would also be in his right to claim all expenses incurred. Unless we are not being informed of other circumstances of this case, if it were me I would have no problem fighting this case to the very end, if I knew I was not guilty of cruelty, negligence of a horses welfare, or maybe a sexual nature, regardless of the cost. Removing the Farrier from being an ATF I totally agree with, as we are dealing with employment law, which is completely different.

PNB

Postby PNB » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:12 pm

If".

“Food for thought” for a trade, barely supplied with enough crumbs of common sense, to nurture and develop an informed opinion as to how the decisions regarding finances and regulations of our industry are arrived at!

“If” was written by Kipling

Here’s ”What If” from Jerry Baker
What If: The FRC didn’t send 2 letters in one week, to just north of 2,800 farriers and were charged by an agency and the Royal Mail for the writing and posting of them.
What if : An, or any, amount of the registered farriers decided that their registration fees weren’t being put to best use, and some of the more militant among us decided to cancel or withhold their payment until the mid- January due date.
What if: Some of the disenchanted became obstinate and remembered to forget to put a postage- stamp on some of the raft of replies which the FRC ordered, and still remain constantly dismayed at the thinly veiled Gun-boat diplomacy, dressed up as an act of parliament, under the guise of equine welfare.
These are only some of the personal thoughts and views that I constantly mull over in the back of my mind, but I think I can rest safe in the knowledge that I’m not alone.

Return to “farriers discussion board”