equine herpes

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here
robin

equine herpes

Postby robin » Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:31 pm

could somebody please help me regarding this desease; or is it a virus?
is it possible for humans to spread it e.g. farriers vets etc?
how long is the inc. period?i would be extemely grateful for any information and precautionary advice.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:30 pm

It is a virus. It's mainly a problem for studs on the whole. I'll check my facts before I give any more information as I don't want to give the wrong advice.

Martin.

admin
Site Admin

EQUINE HERPES VIRUS

Postby admin » Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:11 pm

Hope this helps, Martin:

EQUINE HERPES VIRUS 1 - THE BREEDER'S NIGHTMARE

Equine rhinopneumonitis virus (EHV type 1 or "equine abortion" virus) is highly infectious and primarily affects the respiratory system. It is believed that transmission occurs by the inhalation of infected droplets or by the ingestion of material contaminated by nasal discharges or aborted foetuses.

EHV1 has two subtypes - (1) associated with abortion and less commonly paralysis of the hind limbs and sometimes the front limbs; and (2) associated with respiratory disease, but also capable of causing abortion.
The disease-causing organisms can survive for 14-45 days in the environment and to date there is no effective treatment for EHV1.

The inactivated vaccine most commonly used contains both strains of EHV1 and EHV3. For maximum possible protection, it is recommended that the whole herd be vaccinated contemporaneously for horses from 5 months of age, followed by a second vaccination 4-6 weeks later. This will lessen the possibility of cross infection from horses already incubating the disease at the time of the first vaccination.

However, strict hygiene control procedures to avoid the spread of disease in the environment must be enforced through a thorough cleaning and disinfecting routine using a proven disinfectant/cleaner.

Independent tests carried out have proven the broad spectrum disinfectant, Antec Virkon S to be effective against the EHV1 and EHV3 strains of the equine herpes viruses at a dilution level of 1:100. Virkon S has been tested on and proven effective against a far wider range of veterinary organisms than any other disinfectant, including equine arteritis virus, equine influenza virus, streptococcus equi causing 'strangles', trichophyton spp/microsporum spp (ringworm), and dermatophilus congolensis which is implicated in 'mud fever' and causes 'rain scald' - whilst being safe in use and safe to the environment.

For more information start at:

http://www.herpes-treatments-info.com/e ... _virus.htm

robin

equine herpes

Postby robin » Wed Jan 07, 2004 7:35 pm

thank you for taking the time and trouble to obtain this info. sadly, my client has lost one horse through a rare neurological strain which was extremely horrific for all concerned but the other two in the yard after a tense forty eight hour period seem to have pulled through and although not drinking have started to have a bite at grass which - hopefully will encourage them to take fluid naturally. like the majority of these afflictions there are many if's and but's and the best advice seems to be to remain circumspect to avoid useless panic but take the precautions your research has advised.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:34 pm

One of my customers also lost a horse, one she had bred herself, a total shock and a great tragedy. It started with neurological signs and the end it got severe laminitis and had to be put down. It does seem to be on the increase unfortunately. I hope that the two horses you mention continue their recovery,

Regards,

Martin.

An J

Herpes

Postby An J » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:15 am

I have two mares with this. I understand it to be a virus. The best way to help give them relief is to use Silver Lining #33 HRP. This has made a huge differnce in my mares. They don't get mouth sores anymore. Also have improved their attitudes a great deal. I have one I only treat a couple times a yr. The other I treat about 4 times a yr. So it will depend on how sever your horse has this. It is treatable but not curable from my understanding. Please call me if you have more questions. I am a distributor for Silver Lining. Go to thier web site. silverling.com for more info.
An 541-325-2181

Return to “horseowners discussion board”