Professional accountability

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here
April

Postby April » Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:55 pm

When my horse was last shod the farrier cut his heel whilst trimming the frog. This resulted in box rest, 5 days polticing, and 2 vet visits - at a cost of £105. I felt the farrier had a responsibility to pay my vets bill and he declined. Whilst I know I have the legal upper hand I feel I am battling against a culture whereby it 'is not the done thing' to expect a farrier to pay for his mistakes.
Whilst I accept that accidents happen, farriers are, after all, tradesmen, and we are the customers. What other service industry would even think about expecting the customer to bear the cost of their mistakes?

I am a senior nurse, and if I were to injure a patient whilst carrying out my job I would have to accept responsibility.
I find it a great offence to be met with comments such as ' well this is part of owning a horse' and 'these things happen'. That may well be the case, but these things are an occupational hazard for farriers and not for horse owners. I wonder if we would be so readily accepting of these comments if it were a health care professional carrying out procedures on us?
Accidents do happen, but if cost is incurred by the customer as a result of this, should you even need to ask?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:47 pm

Dear April,

I don't think that there is a culture as you describe, this is a single example. When my dog met romantically with a lady dog recently I agreed to pay the cost of any vets bills incurred. It also depends on the individuals and the circumstances. If a horse jumped suddenly while I was trimming the frog for example and received a cut, I would not regard that as a mistake on my part but an accident. Also farriers are often injured by horses and I have never heard of a farrier asking a horseowner for compensation.

Best wishes,

Martin.

P0P

Postby P0P » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:10 pm

If injury was caused by not paying attention to job in hand, then I agree vets bill should be paid. But a lot of horse owners seem to have a blindspot, as to how well their little darlin's stand and behave in general.

slowhand

accountability

Postby slowhand » Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:07 pm

During the course of the years shoeing things will happen! How long have you been using this farrier? Is he a young enthusiastic ' shoe it in 15 mins' kinda guy or is he an old codger who should be in the old folks home? Why did you call out the vet for a cut on a heel when either you or your farrier could have sorted it out. Are you a complete novice with horses?

I ask because in 30 years of shoeing, also speaking as a very succesful rider and trainer of pointers and national hunt horses, I have never known anyone call out a vet for a cut heel. What did the vet do by the way? Did you call him before you spoke to the farrier? How bad was the cut? Do you use this horse or is it a pet? You could get worse injuries than a cut heel on a days hunting, racing, crosscountry or even out on a hack. The farrier may have been negligent in his handling of the knife [if thats what caused it] but come on, a cut heel, its a long way from its heart! :drinking:

Return to “horseowners discussion board”