LEVEL FOOTFALL

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here

LEVEL FOOTFALL

Postby GUEST » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:37 am

I HAVE AN EIGHT YEAR OLD HIGHLAND PONY WHO HAS IN RECENT WEEKS THRON A LARGE LATERAL SPLINT JUST BELOW THE CARPUS JOINT. ON THIS LIMB IT IS NOTICEABLE THAT THE FOOT LANDS LATERAL FIRST. TO CORRECT THIS AND TRY AND MAKE FOOTALL LEVEL THE LATERAL SIDE OF THE HOOF HAS BEEN LOWERED. HOWEVER, THIS SEEMS TO BE CAUSING MEDIAL FLARE AND MAKING THE OUTSIDE MORE UPRIGHT WITHOUT REALLY AFFECTING THE UNEVEN LANDING. HOW CAN LEVEL FOOT FALL BE ACHEIVED WITHOUT DISTORTING THE HOOF. WOULD IT BE WORTH SHOEING WITH GRADUATED SHOE THAT IS HIGHER MEDIALLY. WOULD YOU CONSIDER THAT LEVEL TRIMMING OF THE FOOT IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN LEVEL FOOTFALL? IT IS ALSO NOTICEABLE THAT BY LOWERING THE LATERAL SIDE THE FOOT IS TENDING TO DEVIATE AWAY FROM THE BODY JUST BEFORE LANDING. THERE ARE NO OBVIOUS CONFORMATIONAL FAULTS THAT WOULD RESULT IN UNLEVEL LANDING AS THIS HORSE HAS WON AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL IN THE SHOW RING.

PNB

Footfall!!

Postby PNB » Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:22 am

GUEST,

My observations are that footfall is a poor diognostic indicator, few horses land flat, I would suggest level foot fall is an abnormal gait. A horse advances it stride as it does so its front feet move marginally towards its centre line tending for the animal to land heel / lateral side first. Thats how I think it happens anyway. The part of the stride phase that is critical is the loaded phase at this stage the animal front feet should be squarely on the ground. DIG IN will normally be inside centre toe and progress smoothly through unloading and breakover.

Check it out for yorself, get yourself a vodeo camera, take some shots of horses walking towards you on level ground, slow the film down, afterwards look at the wear facetts of an old shoe, let me know if my suggestions are correct.

Experiences of interfeering with landing , loading, dig in and breakover of the animals I look after causes unequal loading and MAY in the extreme case influence soft tissue damage, bone changes and new bone formation.

PNB.

P N B.

Postby P N B. » Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:05 am

Phone Call,

Re my above posting, regarding "Dig in", the posting should read outside centre toe. Well spotted thankyou,

PNB.

Return to “horseowners discussion board”