Severe crack in hoof through to laminae

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here
Polo

Severe crack in hoof through to laminae

Postby Polo » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am

Can anyone help me? My 10yr old tbx has always suffered from brittle and cracked hooves. He went lame in January 04 and was put out on grass on good dry ground until June 04. Previous to that he had the cracks in his hooves filled over a period of 9 months and had not been ridden. He was brought in and hunted Oct - Dec 03 until he went lame. The vet x-rayed him in June and although his hoof was well balance, there seemed to be a lot of "trauma" inside the hoof and there was a crack running from the laminae to the outside wall of the hoof. He was shod again in June and the hoof filled and left at rest. In the last 2 weeks he went incredibly lame and the crack now extends up through the cornet band. The farrier has also seen the xrays and cannot explain why this is occurring. He scraped out the crack yesterday and drew blood, he went so deep. My horse now can barely stand on this hoof and is in pain.
I would like to try and find out why this is happening to him. For many years previous he has been on every supplement and nothing made a difference. He was blood tested and found to have a selenium deficiency and was given the recommended supplements and then retested and his levels are fine. He has also been stabled for months on end to see if this made a difference and nothing has worked.
If anyone could help me, i would be extremely grateful.
Jennifer

P N B

Postby P N B » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:04 pm

Jennifer,

Please tell us what type of bedding your animal lives. I have had dire problems of the type you outline due I feel to the bedding type.

While you are about this what type of soil does your turn out have, Sandy, Clay, Peat, normal lightloam or chalk as examples.

PNB.

Jennifer

Postby Jennifer » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:21 am

Hello PNB,

For 4 years he was kept at a livery yard. He was stabled from Oct - May each year and for the summer he was out on what i would call medium type clay soil which during very rainy periods, I would sometimes have to move him to a dryer area. The bedding used was the packed wood shavings which is used extensively around here. For the last 2 years he has been living out all year on very dry and firm ground - am not sure what you would call this type of ground, it's in midland Ireland and this area is used for grazing, corn crops etc.

Jennifer

P N B

Postby P N B » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:40 am

Jennifer,

Sorry is packed wood shavings, the way they are transported to pre-packaged, or does it refer to deeply bedded boxes of wood shavings. From my experiences sandy top clay soil is one very concerning element regarding equine soundness.The bedding possibly could be another, depending on what packing means. I have a bit of documentation to share, regarding soil and bedding, and how it effects my clients the horse's soundness.

PNB.

Jennifer

Postby Jennifer » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:40 am

PNB,
Sorry about the lack of clarity! The shavings were pre-packed bales and depth of bed was usually anything from 10 - 15cm, with the bottom layer being the oldest shavings and top layers being the newer drier shavings. The bed was completely changed every 2 weeks (depending on it's condition). But as i mentioned earlier, he hasn't been stabled for nearly 2 years. If you have any information that you think might help my horse, i would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Jennifer

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:06 pm

Jennifer,

The bedding doesn't seem to be a contrbutory then. I will out line the problems I have in the past had with bedding, the use of very deep shavings and the now more available wood fibre and vegetable fibre bedding can be a problem, the simple way around this is to only bed up a small area for the horse to lay down on leaving a large area of hard standing to enable the animal to stand on on a firm flat base, if the bedding is the problem he will tell you so by declining to use it as a standing area.

Yours is a bit of a mystery then, I have tried reversed shoes on feet that seem similar to the ones you mention with good results, however every case is specific, your farrier should know what he feels is the best treatment plan.

Keep in touch about how your animal progresses. Admin has my E/ Mail address if you need to fill in the blanks.

Good luck

PNB.

Return to “horseowners discussion board”