Silicone underneath hoof pads

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here
Margaret

Postby Margaret » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:57 pm

Please could you tell me if it is alright for household/bathroom/building silicone to be used underneath hoof pads? Thanks

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:51 pm

Yes it's great, I've used hundreds of tubes of it with no problems.

Margaret

Postby Margaret » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:35 pm

Thanks Admin for replying to me. I was worried that the chemicals in the silicone could cause the sole to become even thinner. A friend had hoof pads put on that were made of some sort of stuff a bit like gum shield material , that was heated in hot water and moulded to the sole-would that be better please than the hard pads with silicone?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi Margaret,

I think that hard pads with silicone (which is quite soft) are a good combination to provide protection and absorb concussion. The sole will get thicker because it is protected from wear. I haven't heard about the stuff you heat in hot water, it might be fine. You can pay a lot of money for fancy products but pads and silicone do the same job. If your farrier has experience and expertise with a particular technique then that is probably the one to go for.

Margaret

Silicone under hoof pads

Postby Margaret » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:22 pm

Thankyou again. I have just been looking on the internet via Google and I think the pads my friend has are called Hydroplastic hoof shields. Think we will stick to the silicone and hard pads!! The others sound expensive.What would you charge extra for 2 pads with silicone please?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:45 am

I'd charge £12 myself. Probably should be more.

Return to “horseowners discussion board”