show ponies

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here
malcolm tribe

show ponies

Postby malcolm tribe » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:03 pm

have just received a request from a client for ali show plates for her ponies not because they are sore footed or for any clinical reasons but because after the pony qualified for the international show the judge told her that the pony wasnt finished unless it was plated!!!! So now not only have these poor little ponies have to be so obese they are bordering on laminitic we have to put shoes on to give the pedal bone some where to go through the sole when it gets it. I think that this as cruel as starving and neglecting ponies what do you think

show ponies

Postby guest » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:03 am

you left out the most important part,....did you get paid??

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:51 pm

So a shoe gives somewhere for the shoe to go through, does it? Sometimes the ignorance shown here is simply frightening.

malcolm tribe

Postby malcolm tribe » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:56 pm

to guest one i havnt made up my mind whether to do it or not yet but i know if i dont they will get someone else who will because the show judges will mark her down if not and the value of a winning pony at the international is astronomical because the majority of horse owners no longer have the knowledge to produce young ponies on so have to buy success

malcolm tribe

Postby malcolm tribe » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:57 pm

Anonymous wrote:So a shoe gives somewhere for the shoe to go through, does it? Sometimes the ignorance shown here is simply frightening.
i agree as you obviously cant read try again

loukemp

Postby loukemp » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:17 am

I am not a farrier, so i am unsure what you mean by plates, i think i know. I had a show horse, riding horse, large hack. I went into a class to find that she was the only horse out of around 30 which was not over weight and was not puffing after a two minute canter. I foudn this ratehr disturbing. On looking round the show ground, I was suprised at the number of ponies there that were serverly over weight. I think the showing world is become a place not to be associated with in some respects.

Could you please tell me more about these plates?

(I dont think the guests eyes work correctly)

Lou

john ford

Postby john ford » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:30 am

Put Heart Bar Ali's on it then Malcome and then you will get more for your efforts, and the ponies welfare is looked after.

Ginger&foxcourt84

sounds cruel to me

Postby Ginger&foxcourt84 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:36 am

I have been told my horse will do well with showing but as it means having my horse so fat she can hardly move. I dont think its a very good sport. She has enough problems with her feet as it is i want her to move more freely....
poor pnies. :(

Chris Linssner

Postby Chris Linssner » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:53 pm

I agree with you malcolm

It beggers belief the obese state that these poor animals have to be in to be considered "show fit".
If you think show ponies are unfit, you should see the heavy weight hunters. I have shod some that are so huge that they just crush their feet.

You cannot put anything as different as heart bars on these animals as the muppets judgeing will mark them down for it.

If there are any show judges watching perhaps you can explain the difference between fat and fit. The show hunters i see could'nt cope with ten minutes real hunting.

Chris linssner

Return to “horseowners discussion board”