What do you think of farriers?

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here

Are you happy with the work your farrier does?

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 11

Jenny Macintosh

What do you think of farriers?

Postby Jenny Macintosh » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:05 pm

I have been reading the exchanges on this and Giles' board and I wonder if there really is that much animosity between owners and farriers.
Most of us would like to live in a perfect world - but we don't! Farriers are tradespeople /professionals and, as in any group, there are good and not so good. I would like to hear what other horse owners think are the main plus and minus points according to their experiences - and what, if anything, could maybe help to improve the situation. Perhaps farriers who contribute to this board would like to sit back and give horse owners a chance to have their say before jumping up and down!
I'll start the ball rolling by saying that there is nothing worse than being treated like a fool when trying to put across an opinion which may or may not be valid but nevertheless is an opinion.

JustineJ

Postby JustineJ » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:25 pm

I was extremely happy with my farrier except he hated me asking any questions at all! I did put that down to me being a girl! I have heard many many people say that when they asked their farrier questions they got the, "if you think you can do it better yourself..." with a downing of tools, answer. He was very punctual and reliable and very good with my horses. We opted to remove shoes due to a conformational issue and decided we would rather carry out our own hoof care on all 5 of our horses. My partner is a vet and we have taken great care to learn a non-invasive sensible method with good scientific reasoning behind it.

That said, I believe the majority of farriers in this area are most certainly not up to scratch. The standards are very low and I agree with what has been said on the farriers board, the fact that there are so few farriers to so many horses does nothing to drive up the standards. Many have apprentices and they want to most output and don't give a monkeys about the quality. My farrier was/is the exception to this. He is an excellent and patient teacher with loads of time to help the students and if I chose to shoe again, it would be him I would ask without hesitation. He is very open minded about what we do and gets on extremely well with the person who teaches us. He brings other farriers along to the dissections and talks and we all have a very good relationship.

From my perspective I think farriers should give owners searching for knowledge a bit more credit. We do have the ability to spot a good job. I have heard of many many farriers who are really encouraging and interested in new methods and ideas, but I have heard of many more that cannot stand anything new. This is not healthy and I just wish people would really research first before writing things off.

Was that too harsh or too much?

spoon462

Really ?

Postby spoon462 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:09 pm

I was extremely happy with my farrier except he hated me asking any questions at all! I did put that down to me being a girl! I have heard many many people say that when they asked their farrier questions they got the, "if you think you can do it better yourself..." with a downing of tools, answer. He was very punctual and reliable and very good with my horses. We opted to remove shoes due to a conformational issue and decided we would rather carry out our own hoof care on all 5 of our horses. My partner is a vet and we have taken great care to learn a non-invasive sensible method with good scientific reasoning behind it.

I never knew that it could be done like that, really incredible. :evil::evil:

Ginger&foxcourt84

lol

Postby Ginger&foxcourt84 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:31 pm

my farrier loves me asking questions, coz he knows i want the best for my horse.
But according to him i'm only allowed to ask him an no one else or he calls me unfaithful.. bless him. But everyone needs a second oinion is that a ok thing to do?
:?

Ginger&foxcourt84

sorry

Postby Ginger&foxcourt84 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:16 am

i miss spelled opinion, my p doesnt work sometimes.
:lol:

Susan

Farriers

Postby Susan » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:10 pm

:( If you had asked me last July/August..I may well have said Yes..If you had asked me last April..I would have been estatic. till late last summer. I believed he was the best farriuer anyone could wish to have looking and caring for their horse.

The list was
Punctual
Reliable
Caring
Concerned for horses welfare
Willing to answer questions
Willing to seek alternatives outside of shoeing ie,. Barefoot.
Communative

But sadly I was being conned .. Yes punctual, Yes reliable
Caring..??? questionable?

The reasoning for my change was, the whole of my horses foot structure was imparied to the extent he was on the verge of being lame, his feet were becoming so stressed and compromised
Then I asked questions and suggested alternative and was told well if you wabnt that. It wont be with me doing it. It cant not be done. Effectively I was sacked by him. All the questions that I had been encourged to put forward the door was firmly closed on. I was shocked and then I really looked at the feet and reality! anyone worth their years of training would have had to be blind to not see how bad his feet had become and only through his lack of balanced foot care and shoeing.

UP till then I was encourged by him to go barefoot, having had the hinds removed. he had in fact been encourging me to go BF on the fronts. But after serious seedy toe, a resection at my request as it was looking bad ( and after 2 years of a split) , the hoof wall could not stabilise with no shoe, it needed it for security.
But when we made a suggestion of how to shoe and still keep the stability and stop the bad crack at the front continueing.. I was sacked as a client.

I was then forced to go BF then and there. Lucky the resection had nearly grown out. Why didnt I continue with shoeing from anothert farrier, because I have not seen any shoeing locally or a farrier I would allow near my horse.
I see long toes, contracted heels, and flat toes and boxy feet. I hardly ever see good balanced feet. Then I hear about the lack of reliable farriers, the argueing to get them to turn up, the way I see them handle the horses and no one ever trots up the horse to see how it moves or simply stands and looks at the horse and how he stands. I have been an owner long enough now to know if they are simply turning up ( when they do of course) and banging on steel and being paid and going.

I know I did have one of the very best farriers but for what ever reason he lot the plot tottaly. I know he has treated others similar and they have given him up. Is this a problem of farriers?

Too many think wrongly they are gods gift and should be treated as such, too many think they owe us! the clients a favour, too many think they are gold dust so should be treated accordingley. Too few continue any further training. Too few care for what they do and why they do it.

If an owner regularly has the horse there ready on time, clean, and in a dry and clean place and with light most vof the time. paying as required and not letting the farrier down. perhaps they need to think the clcient is important and not to be taken for granted.
Respect has to be earned not god given right.

WOO have I gone too far I ask...

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:18 pm

Dear susan
i'm sorry to here that you feel let down by your last farrier,did you consult with the vet after expressing your concerns with the farrier seeing that you both failed to reach a working plan for your horse that would be best for the horse.

was the outcome any better months later, have you a new farrier or vet overseeing the problems of your horses feet.

Regards

barefoot

Re: Farriers

Postby barefoot » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:10 pm

Susan wrote::( I see long toes, contracted heels, and flat toes and boxy feet. I hardly ever see good balanced feet. Then I hear about the lack of reliable farriers, the argueing to get them to turn up, the way I see them handle the horses

Too many think wrongly they are gods gift and should be treated as such, too many think they owe us! the clients a favour, too many think they are gold dust so should be treated accordingley. Too few continue any further training. Too few care for what they do and why they do it.

WOO have I gone too far I ask...

not at all

I could not have put it better myself !!!

Return to “horseowners discussion board”