Sound horse diagnosed with keratoma?

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here
stolensilver

Sound horse diagnosed with keratoma?

Postby stolensilver » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:56 pm

Hi, I wondered if you could give me some advice? My rising 6yo horse is sound with no known problems. She just been found to have a keratoma in her right back foot. My farrier found it today (horse is kept on a livery yard so I wasn't there) when he shod her. He's kept the hoof that contained the keratoma, it looks as if there is a spherical lentil-sized lump in the horn. He said he thought he'd got it all out which is great but I don't know anything about them and wondered what happens next? Do they come back? Should I be worried? Since it appears that all of the keratoma has been cut out has it gone?

Thanks for your help!

Dawn Tibble

Postby Dawn Tibble » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:07 pm

Hi quicksilver,
sorry to hear about your horse, these are supposidly quite rare.

Keratoma's are benign tumors, which originate at the coronary corion (the cylindrical one's) or at the laminar or solar corion (spherical one's).

Keratoma's cause lameness in the long run because they occupy space between the inside of the hoof capsule and the distal phalanx (coffin bone), gradually eroding and compressing this bone as they grow.

The erosion of the distal phalanx is of course a permanent damage.

Also the cylindrical keratoma's are often accompanied by recurring abscesses.

Keratomas are benign tumours, i.e. they do not metastasise or spread to other parts of the body, but sometimes recur at the same site, following incomplete surgical removal.

If your farrier has caught it early then hopefully there should be no damage to the distal phalanx. If he removed it completely then prognosis should be good.

Go back to your farrier and ask more questions, look on Google to find more information if needed.

hope this helps.

regards
Dawn

Dawn Tibble

Postby Dawn Tibble » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:09 pm

My aplogies, stolensilver for the miswriting of your post name. quick silver just seem to role of the tongue, haha.

stolensilver

Postby stolensilver » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:29 pm

Thanks Dawn. I looked at the horn the farrier had removed and the "lentil" could be seen on one side but not on the other so I've got my fingers crossed that he got it all out. He hasn't had to remove more foot than he would for a normal shoeing so perhaps I've been very lucky? I'll give him a ring and see what he thinks. I like to do my homework first though so I can at least ask intelligent questions. :wink: :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:21 pm

I doubt if it has been removed entirely, you need to strip it back to the sensitive tissue which is a bloody business and requires a proper surgical procedure. However as the horse has not been lame so far it is most unlikely that the keratoma will be a problem in the future, unless it gets an abscess as Dawn rightly observed, but these are easily treated.

I don't agree that they cause lameness in the long run because they press on the pedal bone. In fact they erode the pedal bone as they develop but once an equilibrium is reached and the bone remodels to accomodate the keratoma there is no pressure and no lameness in the long run.

I should not worry about it.

Best wishes,

Martin.

Return to “horseowners discussion board”