Hi all

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here
Ginger&foxcourt84

Hi all

Postby Ginger&foxcourt84 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:25 pm

hi my names tess,
I just want to know if i put my horse on straw will her soft heel condition get worse?

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:54 pm

Not sure what you mean by soft heel condition. :?:

Ginger&foxcourt84

hmmm...

Postby Ginger&foxcourt84 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:06 pm

Right,
My horse has to have special pads put on her feet to support her because she has tendon adhesions. So he put these pads on, and when he came to take them off they were cracked and soft, and when he trimmed her feet round the frog and looked at the bulbs of her heels, he said they were soft and if they got stones in them it may cause an absess or make her lame...

So i was worried about putting her on straw incase the wet was lingering at the bottom instead of soaking up like shavings does?
Do you know what i mean now? I'm sorry if i'm not explaining my self correctly. :oops:
Thanks anyway

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:33 am

OK I understand now. Straw is a good bedding and you shouldn't have any problem if you don't use deep litter and you keep the bed clean and dry. It is not a problem I have come across, are these equithane pads?

Ginger&foxcourt84

thank you

Postby Ginger&foxcourt84 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:30 am

Thank you for your reply it was most appreciated. :D

Return to “horseowners discussion board”