Can you identify this shoe?

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here
admin
Site Admin

Can you identify this shoe?

Postby admin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:43 am

Please can you help

I found an Iron Horseshoe over 30 years ago buried in my garden alongside an axe. (Michaels Road Northampton)

Since then I have searched the Internet and have not found anything that looks like it,

I wonder if you would be willing to post my Photo on your site hoping that someone may be able to date it for me and even be able to give me more information about it such as use and what horse it may have been used with

Photo attached.

Cheers

Michael

csc

Postby csc » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:12 pm

its not that old in fact they are still made today i believe they were a specimen shoe for a competition recently in fact a friend made one recently
they were originally designed for horses ploughing fields before the days of studs by the look of it i would say it was made after 1900 and before 1970

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:57 am

The shoe was popular in the 1930 - 1950 and is called a ice shoe and used in conjuntion with vanner horses doing road work delivering goods. I have a large collection of these shoes.
The heel and toe studs/nails are in fact sharp unlike a working ploughing shoe were plain turn down heels were the norm.

Regards,

E.W.

bruce wilcock

Postby bruce wilcock » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:45 am

the shoe is a winter shoe with sq shank flat studs fitted ,when the roads became frozen the flats were taken out with a tool like a buffer with a slot cut out ,and sharps were driven in the carters carried them along with small peices of tin to shim up worn holes ,at night all the sharps were taken out and the flats repaced ,i have some of the studs they came in little sacks ,we started fitting shoes with stud holes and flats around november these replaced the usual shoe that had toe bars and heels ,i last used them around 1974 we then changed to tunsten road studs 4 per shoe and used screw in frost studs hope this helps.

admin
Site Admin

photo from Stuart Craig

Postby admin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Return to “horseowners discussion board”