Seedy Toe,White line Disease

especially for horse owners to ask advice, from farriers or from other owners, all welcome, also please post details of lost or stolen horses here
macfee

Seedy Toe,White line Disease

Postby macfee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Evening Chaps, one problem i have a polo pony with seedy toe, at Cowdrey Park for the National Polo Pony Club Championship i took the said pony to get her shoes tightend by the duty Farrier he said that i should use cyteck shoes as they will help,before i commit any good ideas out there in the shoeing world with the pros and cons, look forward to reading all........Stuart MacKay, :idea: s

macfee

Postby macfee » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:37 pm

Forgot to say, he said some Farriers may curse and SPIT , iam old fashioned, but i have seen the shoes cast ones and they look like 1700 shoes or something one would put on a ox cut in half, and Mule shoes come to mind, there is something on you tube have not looked waiting constructive reply and then i will look....come on Chaps Telly is boring please advise....Stuart Mackay

Gay

Postby Gay » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Hi there Stuart :) . In the absence of any replies (as yet) I'll endeavour to get the ball rolling in the hope one of the pros will come to your rescue shortly!
I can't help thinking, perhaps the 'chicken should come before the egg' :lol:
Your title says it all, for me, but the message body makes no reference to the Seedy toe which I believe to be the crux of the problem & which no type of shoe, on its' own, will correct.
I'm sure the 'forthcoming' advice will be to completely remove all the necrotic tissue, be it wall or deeper, thoroughly disinfect/sterilise the area & dependent on severity, either leave unshod & contine to treat or, fill/seal with an epoxy type material perhaps with 'holes' added for continuing disinfectent access, reshoe & continue work if the horse is sound.
Treatment & products used will, I'm sure vary from one operator to the next but I've a feeling neither Cytek nor NB shoes will be recommended for polo, as traction is so important. Perhaps I'm wrong soooo.......over to you pros :wink:

csc

Postby csc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:47 am

i agree with gay however i do use fitzy lights especially for flat feet and low heels i find that the cytec shoe to heavy and have witnessed problems with using them for polo

jaimep
Location: 50 miles of Chesterfield, mid Wales, Cornwall, jaimeexup@hotmail.com

Postby jaimep » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Are you asking for advice on Cytec shoes or seedy toe Stuart? I'm a little unclear...

macfee

Postby macfee » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:45 pm

A fARRIER at Cowdrey suggested Cytec for seedy toe, they are not legal in the rules of play,they are so wide fine if the horse is out of play and badly lame my pony is not lame and is on concaves, cytec dos not have the ground purchase at speed and stop without studs in the front shoes, and studs in the fronts are not legal in polo, we have fixed the problem Dave Garland had some good ideas and they have worked.... Stuart Mackay

jaimep
Location: 50 miles of Chesterfield, mid Wales, Cornwall, jaimeexup@hotmail.com

Postby jaimep » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:55 pm

Right...I am aware of that.

I'm just not quite sure what you question is and to whom you are/where addressing it.

You are on the 'horseowners' forum you know?

Which problem have you fixed? The seedy toe? Good. Please share what you have learnt. I for one would genuinly like to know.

Return to “horseowners discussion board”