Forge December 2005, Article supposedly by Dr Holtom.

For farriers to raise concerns with elected Farriers Registration Council representative Peter Baker. Anonymous postings will be deleted.
PNB

Forge December 2005, Article supposedly by Dr Holtom.

Postby PNB » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:55 pm

PNB

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:30 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A thread lifted from Dr Holtoms web site.

"Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:54 am Post subject: Forge Magazine Article

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giles, John,

Quote "Well put Dr Giles, and may I say what an excellent article from you in Forge this month".

I agree with John's observations on the first page of your article, excellent, great common sense and really needed saying. Don't let it stop there though.

However the paper left me confused, the latter pages of the article that appear to be a report on CPD and are attributed to you. This part seems to be very different, and didn't really accord with your realistic approach to ongoing craft development. I cannot believe you actually contributed that part of the paper if for no other reasons than the style and not only the content was totally different!!

If you would care to tell us what has happened here, it would help us understand!!

PNB.

Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 8:58 am Post subject: Forge Article

Peter, All,
My article ends on page 5, and the article on page 7 has nothing to do with me at all. On skimming through it I suspect that although I submitted my article well over 6 months ago it was held over for at least 2 editions, in fact until the article on page 7 was in print.

ON reading it I find that the original group involved seemingly contacted 2 more and set themselves up as the ipso facto steering group complete with financing, I also note that they are looking for further money to run what is in effect a mini empire. I wonder why they didn’t contact the UKHSU. I know the other three do not recognise them [ UKHSU ], but they do represent farriers, and should have some input. I note that 2 of the tripartite (nice name Probably better than quadripartite or group they think)) are in the majority not Farriers at all, and the one that is IMO is though nice more of a social club It is only good at local meetings, that is if they have them in your area, and I must admit produces a quite good magazine ( I would wouldn’t I)

Who is the research consultant that was asked to examine how CPD was to be expanded, note not does it need expanding, was he a Farrier. Not that it is mandatory in my opinion, but it would be nice to know, and feel we, the ordinary farrier, are part of this. What was the cost of this, and who paid for it.. Though I agree with CPD I do have doubts about the subject matter that is touted as CPD.

Anyway I feel that more working Farriers should be involved in this somehow, and the organisation and should be open and transparent. Why is it I feel that the common Farrier is the least important part of this, and only provides the fodder to feed this looming monolith.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All registered Farriers.

It seems we may have been / are being left out of the formation stage of this craft critical decision.

I feel we as a craft or you as individuals should be / should make representations about CPD.

I will sponsor your ideas if requested, or you can use other established routes, it is essential we do something or we will get yet another draconian system set up for the benefit of others, to be used as a funding medium!!

My suspicions/ fears / thoughts are that in order to fulfill certain criteria seemingly boxes regarding representations have to be ticked to appear actual consultation has taken place. I feel this act may be a bit of a blind.

The fact is all the working craft see / know about it is by way of a simple dictate strung / spliced onto to the end of a very well constructed article which was presented in one of the Tripartite members publications, the article written by our most academically qualified UK farrier Dr Giles Holtom.

I will take it to FRC, Stuart will you take it to LANTRA who are I understand the critical body for CPD [ what a horrible title for ongoing craft development ] funding.

PNB.

PS, Sorry it is so long, but I feel it is not near being a complete file yet??

PNB

Response from Louise Scarnnage NAFBAE National Organiser.

Postby PNB » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:58 pm

Peter, I was pleased to read your comments on the benefits of NAFBAE membership.

Also, the article in the forge magazine on page 9 was written by our - apprentice support consultant - Nicky Ackerley. She pens an article every few months.

The other article was a review article of the FRC research consultant any comments can be directed direct to the Farriery Training Agency.

Happy New Year
Louise Scrannage
National Organiser - NAFBAE

Return to “farriers - contact your FRC rep”