Ongoing Craft Skill Development, OCSD.

For farriers to raise concerns with elected Farriers Registration Council representative Peter Baker. Anonymous postings will be deleted.
PNB

Ongoing Craft Skill Development, OCSD.

Postby PNB » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:12 pm

PNB

Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:01 pm Post subject: On going craft skill development. Forge Dec 2005.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All registered farriers,

I read with incredulity the initial report on the availability of craft skill development in the Dec 05, FORGE, why on earth does our PROUD craft need to be SPOON FED voluntary on going craft skill development, [OCSD].

A non farrier consultant seemingly has been contracted to assess what OCSD is available currently. You don't need a PhD to know there is virtually none, and all of what is available doesn't really stand up as skill development. Thank you for your input Dr Giles Holtom.

Is it not a case that demand should stimulate supply?? From my experience the best OCSD is that which is stimulated by demand, groups of craftsmen who strive for higher WCF qualifications or ATF status are the most obvious candidates. Historically I feel the involvement of the administration of FRC actually inhibits OCSD, rather than stimulates it. Trust has simply been blown away regarding that establishment antic's!!

My opinion is probably worth little, but certainly pushing money at experts in compiling data for the sake of ticking boxes to enable the drawing down of more as yet unidentified funding for the sake of drawing down money seems a pointless paper chase. WHAT DO THE REST OF THE CRAFT FEEL??

WCF and HTC seem to be approaching the matter of OCSD from a realistic starting point, first offer the courses, thereby checking the demand. A SIAS [ suck it and see ] approach, the only one short of an obligatory approach [ Is that what is around the corner??] that could possibly work. It worked very well for the RDC, four days a week during the winter at Salisbury and the Stoneleigh hands on weekends. The demand was saturation with upwards of 70 senior craftsmen being allowed the benefits in the Wiltshire area alone!! Then it dried up due to central government apathy, the RDC was closed down!! and unrelated to supply, demand, simply the delivery system ceased. Incidentally 70+ farriers still turn out for an educational evening in this same geographical area, 35 turned up to the invite of one equine practice, the demand seems to be present. Relevant supply seems absent.

WCF / HTC will some one let us know the take up of the supply of this course. Alex C elected representative to council, with your contacts maybe you could check the demand out for your electorate??

PNB.

Last edited by PNB on Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

PNB

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:38 am Post subject: Over View Of Current OCSD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Member,

G thank you for your phone call. I hope you will feel you can come on line in the future.

Yes, I can give an example to support Dr Holtoms suggestion regarding the " Standing Up " of current OCSD [ Ongoing Craft Skill Development ].

A vast bulk of available OCSD teaching at present seems to be based on the revolutionary stimulation from the works of the great Burney Chapman, it regards the various treatments of pain relief and repair of horn defects associated with LAMINITIS and POST LAMINITIC hoof trauma.

Don't get me wrong but it has without doubt turned many animal around allowing it to live a life in less pain!!

My big gripe is that related elements of the pathfinders, which covers the outputs of Burney Chapman , [Heart bar shoe support and associated overcoming seedy toe yeast infections ]. Dr. Robert Eustace, [ Heart bar configuration of frog support and general recovery therapy], Ian Lindsey [ reversed shoe ], Gene Overnick [ natural solar changes induced by solar loading , Dave Nicholls [ Digital support systems and Four Point shoeing]. Robb Sigafoss [ Repair of degraded horn using the Equilox Method and the Cuffed Shoe] have never been assessed by published comparison. All of these systems to a greater degree are thrown at the craft as OCSD, for the craft to pick up the bits of the respective theories formally un compared.

All of the above methods have something to recommend them!! and given their vastly differing recovery from pain time scales do achieve levels of on going equine comfort, yet in most cases you are left with a laminitic horse all be it a relatively pain free one.

You may be asking where is this ramble going?? That's simple, WHERE IS THE TRUE OCSD in these systems?? when NO COMPARITIVE STUDIES to my knowledge have been undertaken as to the relative merits of the several methods. Currently the methods stand against each other, seemingly OCSD appears to be based on the rewards of a Commercial Harvest.

I think Dr Holtoms point is, that the most inexperienced, the newly qualified working alone do not get the best insights of the pros and cons of the available treatment alternatives under the current OCSD system. Does / can this always meet the best interests of the horse?? From my experience young Veterinary Surgeons can be even more perplexed!!

It is contended that methods proposed as and awarded OCSD status must be tried and tested to confirm their relative effectiveness, this before they become written in stone.

A / the remedy for field tested comparison could lie in that highly successful mind opening historical instrument the WCF essay award. In this case the suggested subject for the thesis, "From your experiences compare the various methods of overcoming Laminitic Pain and Defective Horn Tissue". I challenge the WCF to afford all sufficiently commendable works FWCF thesis status, it will cost WCF little, THE REALITY BEING IN ITSELF THERE COULD BE NO BETTER form of OCSD, and then for this data to be disseminated to the craft!! Would that be progress ??.

I suggest the stimulation involved will create a demand for ongoing education, it would be interesting to watch the up take of OCSD courses and application to take the practical elements of the WCF higher examinations following such a lead. The carrot on a stick approach.

PNB.

Return to “farriers - contact your FRC rep”