Advice requested on integration of farriers with RCVS act.

For farriers to raise concerns with elected Farriers Registration Council representative Peter Baker. Anonymous postings will be deleted.
PNB

The feeling of abject hopelessness.

Postby PNB » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:08 am

All,

As is well documented above, the craft rejected NVQ's, the craft got them anyway.

The craft rejected CRB checks, the craft got them anyway. Then it was discovered they were inadmissible and their use would be illegal. Thus they were dropped, but at what cost to the farriers who had already paid for the privilege!!

The craft are currently out on the RCVS suggestion of deregulation of the Farriers Registration Act's, paving the way for a new form of Farrier Registration, the craft to be integrated with the proposed Veterinary Services Act with veterinarians and other para-professional groups.

UKHSU are requested not to over egg this matter until further informed, yet there appears to be no further meetings planned between the invited craft informal working group which includes UKHSU and WCF / RCVS.

The craft appear to be asleep on this one, GOOD or BAD, it has to be as potentially craft destabilizing as the initial Registration Act!!

The feeling of the other para-professional groups are as far as is possible to establish not totally supportive of the idea.

The veterinary nurses are uneasy as they have insisted on an opt out clause.

I asked how then did it happen to them. The way it happened seems to be it was a individually voulentary exercise, if you wish to read about it go the RCVS web site, click on the Veterinary Nurses News letter for December 2005, an outline is written there in. Our FRC secretary is on the veterinary Nurses Council, is this going to be the way for our craft and the other groups of para-professionals?? Under Nolan we are afforded the right of an answer.

I ask, should I feel helpless about farrier deregulation?? Should I feel happy about veterinary services act integration?? At the moment it's all about suspicion, mistrust and fearfulness.

PNB.

csc

c.s.c

Postby csc » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:54 pm

i am sure the majority of farriers whould like to know more and many might be in favour of a new system. what concerns me is no farrier will get a say in the matter only M. W. N. buddies!

PNB

Postby PNB » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:12 am

Stuart,

The exercise of evaluation of the proposed veterinary services act's integration for farriers is being led by WCF and FRC. Fine, "BUT" are they not the only two organisations empowered within in the current Registration Act that have the gifted power of that act to control farriery. It is them WCF and FRC that will loose out or gain if FARRIERY is deregulated and current legislation is abandoned.

I feel totally happy regarding the WCF, I am not aware that the best interests of farriers and horses would be other than in the front of the WCF shop window. It is felt they must be supported and applauded, they instigated the informal working groups first and so far only meeting.

Other craft members at the FRC AGM agree that it seems that the outburst by the chair of FRC [01/03/06] following a CONTRIVED report has influenced feelings as to future direct WCF consultations with the landmark INFORMAL CRAFT WORKING GROUP, a horrid and confidence destabilising reversal. WHY??

Well, on face value FRC following deregulation would / could be marginalised with its power devolved to the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons umbrella.

I am mistrusting and fearful as stated above that suggestions have been made or even deals done directly with Sefton House that may not necessarily have been considered by the craft or even be in its best interests. One just has to view / look at CRB's and NVQ's Sefton House has a history, it is in its mindset, it does this sort of thing as a matter of routine thus ignoring large parts of the craft feelings.

We were told [RCVS / WCF 31/01/06 meeting] FRC and Sefton House could be transposed in its entirety to the new RCVS umbrella, and on the 27/01/06 that FTAMB intend to spread its wings to cover / administer other areas of training [an example given was blacksmithing]. Where did that come from. Should we feel there is somewhere done deals then??

PNB.

PNB

Postby PNB » Tue May 09, 2006 5:49 pm

Giles,

Thank you for the phone call, I look forwards to your paper at the AGM.

The information given at the recent bash at the HAC, by Roger Eddy, the veterinary surgeon making the presentation was the initiative for deregulation of the farriers registration act reflected approaches made to RCVS by the FRC and The Company regarding integrating a new matrix of farriery registration within the proposed veterinary services act. He further state THE FINAL DECISION will be made by The Farriers Registration Council.

PNB.

csc

Postby csc » Wed May 10, 2006 4:10 pm

did you know that rodger eddy is M.W.N mate on lantra

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed May 10, 2006 4:17 pm

Stuart,

No I didn't, but now I do. Do the plots just keep thickening or am I imagining it.

PNB.

Return to “farriers - contact your FRC rep”