Advised defects in the NVQ / Training system.

For farriers to raise concerns with elected Farriers Registration Council representative Peter Baker. Anonymous postings will be deleted.
PNB

Advised defects in the NVQ / Training system.

Postby PNB » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:24 pm

Hons
Yes Dawn you are spending to much time on sites that give you redtape crap that you swallow hook line and sinker. you have no insight to the world of farriery yet make out how wonderful ATFs are at the training they give apprentices

For one I can only go by the information available, like everyone else. I may not know as much as you, as you so arrogantly put it, but I have never said I have, I have given my opinions on a DISCUSSION board. I have seeked answers and questioned them, as someone spending their life in the education of students you should know the benefit of this and how misinformation can lead to misinterpretation and confusion.

I do not make out how wonderful any ATFs are, I do express concern to the system if they are unable to afford to pay a decent apprentice wage or if they should pay a wage at all, after all what are they getting out of it financially? Try actually reading my posts, infact one of the replies was to a mature farrier apprentice who gave his opinion in regards to ATFs getting funding and this is a farriery student speaking as he finds it. You cannot get anymore closer to the feelings of apprentices than that.

As far as I can tell by opinions on this site and others, farriers do not want sole college based tuition and think it should be more farrier based, In which case this involves ATFs, by protocal of the FRC, FTS ect. doesn't it.
The college tutor, FWCF, yoiu mentioned is commendable for his dedication but he is getting paid a good wage for being senior tutor, through the college system, so that is his incentive and reward.

You either want colleges or want it farrier based, make your minds up?

regards
Dawn

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Back to top

john ford

It only costs about £3500.00 to send an apprentice direct to the School of Farriery for 21 weeks over a 4 year period. So this means the FTAMB are getting a kick back of about £6000.00 per apprentice to run their organisation. So if you got rid of grants and the FTAMB, and added let say a further £1000 to the School of Farriery for administration. It would cost the apprentice about £215.00 per week for 21 weeks out of a 208 week apprenticeship. This could be off-set from wages the apprentice received from the ATF.
You could even go further by paying the ATF £1500.00 for the training and still be better off all round, even this would only add £7.21 per week to the apprentice over 4 years. Don’t forget the apprentice will receive at least £30,000.00 in wages after tax over the four years apprenticeship. And the ATF has set him/her up for life. If one has the will it can be done.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Back to top

PNB

John,

The time spent a college if NVQ's were dropped could be dramatically reduced.

PNB.

john ford

Well if we did self fund, NVQs would be out that’s for sure. But this is all talk and suggestion, do you or anyone else think that there is anyway forward to change anything within the training of apprentices, and who are the people who have any clout to do so.
No disrespect to you or any FRC representatives, but training comes under JFTAC & FTAMB. At the moment I can’t see enough determined people with the same views within the trade, for anyone at the top to take notice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Back to top

PNB

John,

If you want change its down to you, you shout loudest, try FRC, WCF, LANTRA the more that shout with you the better that is if you want change. We are already doing our best.

Just for the record a pressure group of 7 is raking havoc with the RCVS at present!!

PNB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Back to top

pnb, less time at college would be no bad thing, i for-one did think the NVQ system might be useful it's been counter productive with endless assesments, competent, refer these assesments mean we then must send apprentices home because of failure under test and recorded paper work (nail in the coffin) one to one will nearly always bring apprentices back on track but NVQ stops this happening, the time is no longer there.
We seem stuck and can't get moveing a new system is needed some kind of funding through the WCF, more help with ATFs asssesment of the apprentice in the workplace not under stress at college.

ATF

Return to “farriers - contact your FRC rep”