Fallout FRC meeting 1st March 2006, [3].

For farriers to raise concerns with elected Farriers Registration Council representative Peter Baker. Anonymous postings will be deleted.
PNB

Fallout FRC meeting 1st March 2006, [3].

Postby PNB » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:15 am

Distance Learning. Academic Higher Qualifications.

It seems Myerscough College have put in place, and another college is considering foundation degree courses in Farriery for the next year. It has been approved by WCF in principle that a 60% pass rate would qualify as an AWCF pass.

It is also thought that there may soon be an honours degree course or courses offered leading to the FWCF, [as yet not approved in principle by WCF]. It was suggested that the target of this educational inicitive would be existing registered craftsmen, however if the foundation or highers courses contained no practical farriery then participation would be open to all.

The question was explored would the degree holder be able to apply for registration?? It seems not as registration can only be achieved by way of apprenticeship or another recognised course of training, as farriery is a practical skill.

Personal observation- It seems that the possibility of a certificate for prior learning and shortened apprenticeship still has to be addressed. I clearly remember in the early 90's the fears had to be addressed that college based entry for qualification onto the register was the suggestion, surely caution must now be observed again.

On a lighter note, the situation may shortly arrive that an academic FWCF, would be serving his time to achieve the practical DWCF standard.

Any thoughts??

PNB.
Last edited by PNB on Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Giles

Degree

Postby Giles » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:04 am

My thoughts are that a FWCF serving time to get a Dip would not be enough. By my reckoning a higher standard of practical farriery is a must for AWCF and even more so for the FWCF. Theory is not everything or anything without the practical skill to apply it.

Return to “farriers - contact your FRC rep”