yell (pages)

For farriers to raise concerns with elected Farriers Registration Council representative Peter Baker. Anonymous postings will be deleted.
tim fieldwick

yell (pages)

Postby tim fieldwick » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:39 am

I have been contacted recently by a sales rep. from yell(pages)regarding placing an advertisement in a block section allegedly in collaboration with the FRC.A fee of around £80.00 was quoted for this service.This advert with others, would be placed under the FRC logo together with accompanying wording regarding farriers having to be registered etc.and the following(farriers) are a selection of them.
My concern is that potential clients could understandably get the impression from reading this that anyone not listed was not registered or approved and therefore farriers that declined to be included could be at a disadvantage.There are many reasons why a person would not feel comfortable about advertising but they should not be compromised for not doing so.
Was this arrangement agreed by the FRC council or by an individual?
Are we subsidising this deal?
I would stress I have nothing against advertising as such but only from a level playing field.

PNB

Cold Calling Yellow Pages.

Postby PNB » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:36 pm

Tim,

Jerry and I have had the same contact.

It seems FRC sold a copy of a DVD of the register to yellow pages on the understanding data was to be placed in their directory, that's as far as FRC understood. I understand it cost Yellow Pages £20!! I spoke central services at Sefton House.

I think Yellow Pages got the message I was not interested!!

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:59 pm

Yet again it seems that the FRC can make up their own rules to suite themselves. What business do they have selling my details to a third party not connected to the trade of farriery.

csc

Postby csc » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:41 am

good point fordy

Giles

COUTESY

Postby Giles » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:55 am

I am probably wrong, but I thought it was illegal to harvest personal details and sell them on to third parties without the consent of the donor. Most forms that you fill in today have a tick box for you to agree to this. In the FRC case we would need several I think, i.e. 1. To agree to your details being passed on to horse owners only, 2. To pass them on to for profit organisations, 3. Not to divulge them to anyone outside the FRC.

I may be wrong about the law, but even if I am, it would be common courtesy I would have thought to have asked you permission to pass your details on to third parties. These are details that you had to provide in order to be registered, you had no option. I know you are only common farriers, but I would have though a bit of respect would not have come amiss, even though you are not in the social group that your leaders are.

Next year at your renewal of your registration I would write on the form that you do not wish these details to be passed on. On second thoughts I would do it now if you don’t want to be hounded by people they have sold the details to.

Giles

Your rights

Postby Giles » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:46 am

If you really want to know your position, look up the "Data Protection Act" on the internet

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:47 pm

Tim,

I reported your comment to FRC and you should have received a letter explaining their position.

I personally find any COLD CALLING really offensive. As a council member I was not involved in this decision to sell this data to yellow pages!! However the sale of copies of the register was an item on the agenda for the last meeting, I in fact raised objection to a standard charge for the sale of DVDs / CDs of our register to the public and to commercial outlets. By the way it got through anyway as it was contained in a very big package of matters regarding financial proposals. In future DVDs / CDs of the entire register will cost you as a farrier and me an FRC member £300.

In response to Giles's comment, I don't suppose the council's action at the last meeting would be a defence against a breech of the data protection act!! I do however believe that Felicity, the registrar is doing her best to explain the position she finds herself in.

Are you satisfied with the FRC written response?? as I can still raise this matter under AOB on the 7th March 07 for you.

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Peter I agree with Giles that all farriers should have the option to tick a box which states that their information is not given out to a third party. Also another box should be there to tick if you are happy for your name and business telephone number to be given out to a potential horse owner looking for a farrier.

tim fieldwick

yell (pages)

Postby tim fieldwick » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:37 pm

Peter
Thank you for your efforts in getting a response to my concerns.
I did in fact receive a letter today from the registrar explaining their position which I am satisfied with.However, I still do not agree with the decision to combine a P.R. exercise for the FRC with the wishes of some farriers to advertise along side it,despite relevant wording,this still gives
a very unbalanced picture to potential clients of who is legally available locally to shoe their horses because it is the names and phone numbers that they will be looking at not reading small print.
I would rather see a separate advert from the FRC in Yell on its own if they are concerned with raising their profile.
I am still rather confused about actions taken by the FRC which to me means the full council condone them?Perhaps things like this matter are done 'on behalf of the FRC?'
I will be writing back to the registrar in response to her letter.
Thank you again

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:51 pm

Tim,

The little expression "DELEGATED POWERS" seem to slip into conversations when I have questioned unilateral actions.

To date where these "DELEGATED POWERS" have come from and under what authority, it has been impossible to establish.

"DELEGATED POWER" has not been sought from council members during either of the periods I have served on the FRC.

I have to inquire does the usage of "DELEGATED POWERS" stand the public interest test as it should be applied under the guidence of "THE NOLAN COMMISSION".

PNB.

csc

Postby csc » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:46 am

PETER WHEN YOU GO UP TO THE NEXT FRC MEETING WHY DONT YOU ASK WHO IN THE FRC SANCTIONED THIS WAS IT THE REGISTRAR OR THE SECRATERY

admin
Site Admin

FRC Corporate Services Officer

Postby admin » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:26 pm

In April 2004 the FRC had a "Corporate Services Officer" called Bridget Durrant whose job I supposed was to flog copies of the register to anyone who would cough up for it. I did ask her to "provide us with a description of your duties for our farrier members, any further information about yourself and a photograph for inclusion in our newsletter would also be appreciated" but I was told by Miles Williamson-Noble (Registrar) that my "request for a member of staff to provide you with a description of their duties, personal details and a photograph is totally out of order".
Last edited by admin on Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

csc

Postby csc » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:02 am

martin have you tried friends reunited she was probably a bushpig anyway
what right have we to know the duties of F.R.C. personel anyway after all we are only humble farriers
was this quite a wile ago or recently what was mwn position in the frc at the time you asked
ok chris give it to me for my sarcastic remarks

Return to “farriers - contact your FRC rep”