Apprentice intake 31L.Admin Circulate also by Email please.

For farriers to raise concerns with elected Farriers Registration Council representative Peter Baker. Anonymous postings will be deleted.
PNB

Apprentice intake 31L.Admin Circulate also by Email please.

Postby PNB » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:37 am

All ATF's,

You will today have received a reply slip for the above apprentice in take [31L]. As your elected representative on FRC I feel obliged to ask that you note the new financial obligations outlined in the 4th paragraph of this letter from the FTA.

It states [quote],"The government now require that employers contribute up to 50% of the fees for a 19 - 24 year old apprentice". The Chairman of council established at FRC on 7th March 2007 that the government grant has already been reduced and currently this age group get only 60% of the grant compared with the younger apprentices. The 50% -50% ratio will be implemented by the government by 2010.

As your elected representative on FRC it is difficult for me to understand why this £3000 levy on ATFs is going to kick in in July 2007, when at worst it will only amount to a 10% downward adjustment of the grant, seemingly in 4 years time.

The decision to levy ATFs on the the grounds laid out in the letter, on the face of it may well be susceptable to a challenge.

PNB , [Craft elected member on FRC].

csc

Postby csc » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:40 am

forget it peter you will only be chasing the dog compertition is what is needed

john ford

Postby john ford » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Peter and Stuart, on the subject of ATFs having to fork out a vast amount of money to train an apprentice, I believe you don’t need to raise any issues over it because those who wish to pay up will, and those who don’t won’t. If after a time there is a vast reduction of apprentices being taken on, first in the short term it would be good for the trade as we are getting to the point of too many farriers in some areas, and in the long term the FTA will lose out big time financially which will force someone to rethink the whole issue of apprenticeship training.

PNB

Postby PNB » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:42 pm

John,

I fully agree with you, it will find its own level.

My point, that ATF's must be made as aware of the levy as they can be made, that is the only obligation I feel I am under.

The efforts of the new chairman, by insisting that the detail of the levy is placed before our craft whilst there was still time for ATF's to decide if it was viable specific to them to put up a lad in July or not, is a first and very commendable.

PNB.

Return to “farriers - contact your FRC rep”