Farrier Communication Network. Please join up.

For farriers to raise concerns with elected Farriers Registration Council representative Peter Baker. Anonymous postings will be deleted.
PNB

Farrier Communication Network. Please join up.

Postby PNB » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:10 am

All,

Farriers, Members of UKHSU and all Associates of UKHSU [posters to the UKHSU information boards] are invited to join the new E Group, farriertalk@yahoogroups.com . Click this link [url]http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/farriertalk/[/url] and follow the outlined path. It may take a day to sign you up.

The purpose of the group is to talk daily with other farriers and your representatives on FRC, outside of the full public gaze. To enable an as wide as possible over view of the working crafts feelings about the current farriery political scene.

Several things are happening at present. Today an FRC audit committee are sitting to review the Rules of Council. There is a move to enforce obligatory CPD and by the 26th September you have [if you wish to] to tell Government how you feel about farriery registration coming within the new proposed Veterinary Services Act, [an invite by the RCVS].

PNB. 07879817175

cliff barnes

Postby cliff barnes » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:36 am

peter
thats fine no need for the threats. i was unaware that it was such an issue. wont do it in that way in the future.
Cliff

PNB

Postby PNB » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:55 am

Cliff,

Sorry, I though you were pulling my string. Considider the matter dead. I have removed any referance to the issue.

PNB.

csc

Postby csc » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:57 am

i belived this site to be open and that there was to be no editing but peter it seems you have taken on your own mandate to edit coments and have some control of this site as if it was your own personal site no one in the U.K.H.S.U. has given you this power so what is going on

Giles

Postby Giles » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:02 am

Stuart,
I have followed these postings with some interest. As far as I can see Peter has not edited any postings on here, though what he has done is removed a private e-mail that was put up by mistake and without the permission of the author. Now if someone had done that to one of your private e-mails wouldn’t you depending on the content want it taken down? I certainly would, my personal e-mails are just that and for the recipients eyes only unless I state otherwise, though in that case I would have put it up myself.

csc

Postby csc » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:45 am

a private e mail giles a good excuse however once on this board nothing should be edited or sensored mistake or not
if this hapens it opens the U.K.H.S.U. to alegations of sensorship.
as we are a open forum this is not aceptable
if you and peter want to have your individual private forums that is down to you edit and sensor as much as you like but not on this site

PNB

Postby PNB » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:22 pm

Stuart,

This is not an UKHSU board if you check the title, it is my board for those that elected to me, to communicate with me!! I have and reserved the right to remove unsuitable data!! [ my judgement]!! Especially a draft document that was put out by email for suggestion prior to submission to a government department!!

The document will be put on display once it has been re- drafted fully and submitted. I am grateful to Clifford for taking the time to respond, his comment was written into the final document, he will be sent a finalised copy of my report, once the submission deadline has passed.

By the way this board is only open to registered farriers who are known or can be identified!!

PNB.

Jenny Todd

Postby Jenny Todd » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 am

THIS POSTING IS FROM JAMES TODD AFCL - founding member UKHSU.
Stuart - what you say is valid and relevant - and Peter Baker's actions are a repeat of those that caused me to leave the union in which I believed so strongly. I am a registered farrier what is Giles Holtom's (FWCF) status - I believe he is retired. It is the lack of impartiality that causes the Union to be ineffective and sadly stunted in its growth. Such a shame. I suppose that Martin Humphreys (admin) will be included in Peter Baker's group of 'registered farriers' too - you should be more careful with your language Peter - he is only a vet!
James Todd AFCL

csc

Postby csc » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:30 am

peter this is the U.K.H.S.U. SITE NOT YOUR PERSONAL SITE;;;yes this part is a notice board is for farriers to ask there elected member any questions
we have spoken about this in the past and the voting members have agreed not to edit or sensor
you are turning this into your own little club and turning power mad arnt you satisfied with your own site
james thanks for your answer why dont you re join your imput and help as a member was always apreciated
good critisism always helps us to consider others views and keeps things more balanced
our membership has increased by people who want to join us and support us
we naw have in the region of 75 members we are curently working on insurences and service providers for our members and hope this year we will have some results

PNB

Postby PNB » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:04 am

Jim Todd,

Great to have you back on line. I take on board what you say. The fault was mine, I trusted a farrier would understand personal emails are just that and until drafted into a form that he and other farriers choose to be of appropriate the emails remain personal and the copyright of the author. [not for full public view]. Jim, join Farriertalk@yahoogroups.com, your input would be invaluable.

If anyone wishes an input into documents I prepare, any working craftsman can join farriertalk@yahoogroups.com and be a part of the written communication, you elected me to represent you it is important for me to know how you all feel.

My full submission will be pasted on farriertalk@yahoogroups.com as the contributors to farriertalk@yahoogroups.com were party to the final submission document. After the submission date, 26th September 2007. However EFRA have stated it is not to be publicly published without specific permission of EFRA!!. [read the terms and conditions of the EFRA committee].

PNB.

Giles

Postby Giles » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:53 am

James or Jenny or both,
It would seem that as a member of the WCF you are trying to wind things up, I cant see any other reason, though no doubt you will endeavour to find one, just so that you can keep the pot boiling. Leaving the union was your decision I believe, so you have only yourself to blame for your inability to change things, or to sway opinions. Unlike you I accept that others have opinions and some of them I do not go along with, but I accept them for the major good of all as unlike some I am not right ALL the time. Impartiality is something you could have taken t heart when you were a member and not leave when things didn’t go your way.

Like you I am a registered farrier, the difference is I am on the retired list. That doesn’t mean that I am not involved in farriery, just the opposite in fact in my case, my position is one that you will find yourself in one day no doubt, if you live long enough. What I do and am involved in is completely legal, though I am sure there are those who don’t agree, if you are one of them then join the union and seek to change things if you can obtain a majority.

Martin Humphrey is more than just a Vet, he is a working farrier as well, are you a working vet as well as a farrier. Most of your remarks seem like sour grapes to me. You know as do most others that what Peter did was in the best interest of the person who mistakenly posted this private e-mail. As a non member why do you read this particular site anyway, you are making a fuss over nothing like you cohorts in the WCF. Your time would be better spent doing something constructive for the betterment of farriery, something you have demonstrated you seem loath to do.

Come on James dont be afraid, Join the union, don’t hang about on the fringes trying to cause trouble like some others who have nothing better to do. Think about farriers, not yourself and your ego.

john ford

Postby john ford » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:32 pm

Problem is Giles, Martin is not a Registered Farrier. He can do or say what he likes without fear of being bought up before the FRC ?

PNB

Postby PNB » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:10 pm

John,

Are you scared of being bought up before FRC then?? If so why?? Do you feel FRC administer Farriers by using fear as a weapon?? So John what have we got then?? Are you happy with that?? How many others view Sefton House that way??

PNB.

cliff barnes

Postby cliff barnes » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:57 am

pnb
I have no fear of the FRC. It is after all a free country (just) the FRC should be seen as an aid to any farrier who needs their help and support, but if you have been a naughty boy and a slap on the wrist is what is needed then thats the rules we play by in this country.
Peter please dont turn this into something its not, they are not all out to get us...!
the act was brought into place for animal welfare not a boys club...!
oh and just as an add on, those of us unfortunate enough to get to the point of needing a wrist slap are judged mainly by another one of us.. ie mainly other farriers, there is a vet and some white collar workers involved but that goes back to the act...!
If any of you dont like the way its done get off your backsides and put yourselves forward.

Cliff

PNB

Postby PNB » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:38 pm

Cliff,

"they are not all out to get us", Your quote.

"They" that includes me!! You elected me to sit as your representative on the Farriers Registration Council. Do you feel then they is some body that influences the outcomes of council, other than the members sitting on council??

There is something that goes on that I don't fully understand how ever!! We are working on it, trying to find out who or what.

PNB.

csc

Postby csc » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:38 pm

ciff be carefull here the F.R.C.is a animal welfare regulating organisation and not for the use of farriers.
as for the naughty boys it has abused its position in the past and some of those that are part of it have abused there position.
a english farrier not only serves 4.5 years as a aprentice and be under strict regulations where a foreiner is free to do as he/she pleases with non or little experience
then if you remember the U.K.H.S.U.sent aletter to all farriers regarding the vet act ,mr curtis replied it was a load of bull in his letter to farriers naw we are told it might be a reality
so who is teling the truth here dont be led blindly

Jenny Todd

Postby Jenny Todd » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:42 am

POSTING FROM JAMES TODD
Giles - Just let's get this clear once and for all - under all your bluster and bluff, you ARE NOT a registered farrier - whatever else you might be the Retired list is not part of the register and I quote (extract from FRC Rules)

The ‘Retired List’ shall contain names of farriers who have retired from farriery.
This list is not part of the Register and does not entitle persons to engage in
farriery within Great Britain where the Act applies. Retired farriers may
voluntarily enter their names on the Retired List for a prescribed fee, reviewed by
Council from time to time. This shall entitle the farrier to receive the Farriers
Bulletin and other newsletters.

So basically the fee you pay is a newsletter subscription. And likewise Martin Humhrey is not a REGISTERED FARRIER - vet he may be and legally he can shoe horses and he has gained his AW qualification, whilst a registered farrier, but has now opted out of being on the register. It was Peter Baker who was adamant that his group was intended for REGISTERED farriers. And I am not a vet, never have been and certainly never will be, I am just a registered farrier. No sour grapes Giles, nothing to do with the WCF, just my opinions - and mine alone. I am often wrong and won't be a party to any mud slinging - I just see people for what they are and have enormous respect for most of my registered peers. And I wouldn't even consider joining any organisation unless I was convinced that it was sound and genuine in its objectives.
James Todd

PNB

Postby PNB » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:10 am

Jim,

Great to see your thoughts again, How is the foot and mouth and blue tongue effecting you, your shoeing supply and shoeing round in ESSEX. Real bad news again for farmers isn't it.

I am sad you keep picking up on my use of the word registered farrier, I suppose it was a slip of the pen, sad it is anyway. If I Remember correctly you were all in favour of UKHSU calling itself A HORSE SHOERS UNION when you were a founder member of our UKHSU so I suppose I should have been a bit more careful in my word usage, I suppose I am a horse shoer however, all this written stuff is a bit over my head!!

Did you make a representation to government regarding the Veterinary Colleges proposed take over of farriery registration, something I know you once felt very strongly about, if you did I would love to have a copy.

EFRA have sadly blocked publication of submitted reports until they have used them for their purposes, so only referance to our inputs can be place in public view as yet.

It will be interesting to see what FRC and Nafbae said!! to EFRA. It is surprising the members of FRC didn't see a DRAFT copy of any report let alone our craft, before the submission date on 26th September. I suppose these organisations actually spoke up for the feelings of the working craft, you are close to the action, do you know?? No one was available at Sefton House to answer my enquiry last week when I phoned!!

I see Cottoms have a seminar coming up shortly, it is great to see Alan Bailey on the speakers / hands on presentation list there. Maybe we will see you at the get together like we use to be some years back.

Any way be lucky,

PNB.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:27 pm

Just to keep you up-to-date Peter with things that go on outside of the Berkshire arena. James Todd AWCF although still a paid up registered farrier, has retired and is enjoying the fruits of his hard work by travelling throughout Australia and the USA with his wife Jenny. Whilst still owning The Forge at Great Warley he has someone else running the business.

cliff barnes

Postby cliff barnes » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:50 am

hi John
Hope you are well and enjoying life to the full
Cliff

john ford

Postby john ford » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:39 pm

Couldn't be better Cliff

Return to “farriers - contact your FRC rep”