Letter ref FRC finances and fee increases. P? GORDEN.

this forum is mainly for farriers - all are welcome but don't enter if you are easily offended!

Moderator: admin

PNB

Letter ref FRC finances and fee increases. P? GORDEN.

Postby PNB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:03 am

Dear, David Greenwood / FRC Registrar
 Unit 14,
Swan Court Forder Way,
Peterborough
PE7 8GX

Obviously you’re aware that FRC is in the middle of the 2017 election campaign process, and as a result, as a candidate I have been receiving communication from farriers around the UK offering their support and asking many question about council, and what I can do for the industry if re-elected.
However, I have found myself in a situation where I can’t answer some of these questions because I don’t have, the relevant information, so I would be very grateful if you could furnish me with the information, as I know you’ll have access .
The main question I have been asked is about the increase to the Registration Fee, and to explain the financial breakdown to justify the increase.
I have explained, that as in all council members were informed that the increase of the retention fee was a result of the implantation of the change to the Act, hence lay members, sitting on Investigation/Disciplinary committees, which greatly increase the allocated budget to those committees, but I have not seen a financial costings breakdown to show how the size of the increase was arrived at,
Many of the farriers who have contacted me, are greatly concerned that the increase to the retention fee is too supplement the costs of the two high profile legal cases that the FRC been involved in over the past couple of years, i.e. Dennis Verdon. And Stuart Craig. I have been asked, to confirm that in the case of Dennis Verdon the case was dismissed by the Proctor Fiscal because of inadequate legal representation. The general belief amongst farriers is that all FRC legal costs were wasted as a result. Likewise with Stuart Craig appealing to the high court, and his case being turned over, and awarded legal costs.
I have faced repeated questioning over the sale of Sefton House, renting space in Sefton House and subsequent purchase of Swan Court. Farriers generally feel the financial activity of the FRC is not open and clear, this is causing concern over the financial sustainability of the council long term.
The general opinion amongst farriers who I have had communication with seems to be that FRC is and has incurred massive legal fee costs, over the past couple of years, sold and bought a new property, and put the retention fee up then citing the new act in explaining retention fee increases.
I know that in the past council members, in council meeting have asked for the costs of these legal cases, but could not be furnished with them because the cases were still on going, however now they are concluded this information is accessible, so can you supply me with the following information
Full financial costing and breakdown to the increase of the Retention fee.
Full financial costs and breakdown associated with the Dennis Verdon case.
Full financial costs and breakdown associated wit he Stuart Craig case
Full financial costs and breakdown associated with the sale of Sefton house.
Full financial costs and breakdown associated with the perchance of Swan Court.
So that I can, forward this information to the farriers from around the UK, who are and have shown concern about the financial operations of the FRC. And if possible for all the above 5 items to be set on the agenda item for the next FRC council meeting on December 13th 2017 at Swan Court.
This letter has also been forwarded to many farriers that have requested to be kept informed of the request, and progress.

Regards
Paul Gordon DipWCF
Elected Northern Member to FRC

PNB

Re: Letter ref FRC finances and fee increases. P? GORDEN.

Postby PNB » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:43 am

All,

I am not standing again to go onto FRC,but thank you for the support you have afforded me over the last 20 years

I have today received this letter from Paul Gorden. I accord to the letter of the contents. I am mindful of a comment made by the Registrar last week that FRC was not prepared to detail the cost of CS CRAIGS DISIPLINARY case, which is very lupsetting to an elected Council Member.

He states the said detail will be in the finance report, sadly this case has taken place over the previous several years and the total cost will/maybe therefore somewhat hidden!!

Reference the Lord Brew report that openness and transparency obligation should be at the forefront of any FRC matters.To say nothing of a disclosure by Statutory Obligation of the Freedom Information Act.

PNB.

PNB

Postby PNB » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:44 pm

All.

Paul Gordon strongly advises that registered farriers should NOT fail to pay their registration renewal in early December!!

He advises that anybody planning NOT to pay their renewal to phone him urgently when he will outline the protocols they need to follow to head off Police action for continuing to work as Farriers when registration has lapsed in January 2018. (Seems he is on firmly on our side).

Hope this helps the several dozen disgruntled tradesmen I have spoken with leading up to this election.

PNB.

PNB

Postby PNB » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:45 pm

All.

Paul Gordon strongly advises that registered farriers should NOT fail to pay their registration renewal in early December!!

He advises that anybody planning NOT to pay their renewal to phone him urgently when he will outline the protocols they need to follow to head off Police action for continuing to work as Farriers when registration has lapsed in January 2018. (Seems he is on firmly on our side).

Hope this helps the several dozen disgruntled tradesmen I have spoken with leading up to this election.

PNB.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:06 pm

You won’t be getting an answer any time soon, simply because the FRC don’t and won’t ever understand the meaning of the words honesty and transparency, yet they presumed that it’s correct to ask farrier to tow the line with there vast increasing demands and ludicrously revamped rules all to dam up there poor decisions making that cost the FRC vast amount o f lost revenue (not competent) heads should roll, they should not be asking the everyday farrier to bail them out by putting such a high increase on our already high subs shame on them.

PNB

Postby PNB » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:03 pm

All,

Seems there is some sort of accord!! in the street then.

PNB.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:36 am

PNB,
Yes the working farriers of the uk are at a loss at what the FRC are really for as when one asks a simple question there are never forthcoming with an answer, yet when they send out there little petty questionnaires you are told that failure to reply could get you in hole lot of trouble, it’s laughable to think that they are always reviewing farriers but in truth they need an outside agency to review the FRC and only then would they realise they indeed have some very poor practices that need dragging back to the twenty first century.
The general horse public don’t understand what the FRC actually do and neither do I so are they really fit for purpose, not really as they fail to connect with the public or farriers.

PNB

Postby PNB » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:34 pm

EW.

You are following the well trodden path to get things changed, bringing comment into public view and DEFRA view

Suppose this could be reenforced by referring the matters to the DEFRA minister. Ignoring that route reflects nowhere. 3 of us did that in the past, to Dramatic effect in fact we got an audience with the now Prime Minister and the DEFRA minister.

Our efforts reflected in new legislation then being bought into consideration with actual Working Craftesmen input. Maybe for the first time regarding FARRIERY. The route has been established and is still available but it is now far easier for Ministers to action changes. As these matters NOW can be effected by a Statutory Instrument without being taken before a full vote before full government using up less valuable time (brexit presently blocking systems).

PNB.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:23 pm

PNB,
The problem starts at the heart of the so-called leadership at FRC, if you aren’t making a connection with the general public or farriers (the working craft) then you should take a step back and look at we’re your going wrong not keep charging forward like a bull in a china shop, if farriers employed the same tactics as FRC they would be out of business very quickly, when you don’t listen and take in other peoples opinions or dismiss there ideas at a drop of the hat then you should not be in a position of leadership.
The FRC don’t have that leadership as being from the armed forces (institutionalised) does not prepare you two view things with clarity in the world of the horse and farriery unfortunately. While the wrong people are running things with a blinkered view then things can’t and won’t change rapidly enough. We need a level playing field if the welfare of the horse and farriery are to progress together.

john ford

Postby john ford » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:31 pm

In my opinion it is not the whole of the FRC at fault here. The FRC is now run by one person, who will not be put down or crossed my any member, knowing full well that the FRC would have to pay out a fortune to get rid of him. And who am I talking about? The Registrar and his side kick. Nothing will change until these two are removed.

Italian stallion

Postby Italian stallion » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:23 am

John, there has always been a mentally of the ostrich burying his head in the sand at FRC that doesn’t look like changing anytime soon, you know when someone is still using an army rank after leaving the forces tells you what they are I’ll leave that to your imagination.
My uncle was a major but never used his rank after leaving the forces as he simply pointed out I’m now a civilian not a soldier.

Return to “farriers discussion board”